One of my favorite salad dressings for those late fall/winter salads is this Citrus Balsamic Vinaigrette Recipe. It is so simple to make, like 5 minutes simple, and only uses 6 easy-to-find ingredients. Trust me, this will quickly become a favorite in your house too!
What Makes This Dressing So Good?
If you have never tried orange and balsamic together, you really need to. It might sound weird, but the combo is delicious! Trust me, your taste buds will thank you.
It is a great citrus-flavored dressing for those winter salads. It has a slight undertone of orange and balsamic. It is also good on summer salads as well!
This dressing is really simple to make. I can usually make it in about 5 minutes! So, 5 minutes and only 6 ingredients, most you probably have in the pantry anyway!
It holds well for 5-7 days. I like it as once I make it, I have dressing for the week.
- Extra Virgin olive oil- you can use other oil, but olive oil is always my favorite.
- Fresh Orange Juice- Don't try and use concentrate, it is not the same! I love to make this citrus-balsamic vinaigrette in winter when delicious citrus is in season.
- Balsamic Vinegar- I prefer to use dark balsamic, but you can also use white balsamic if you prefer.
- Honey- There are other sweeteners you can use, honey is my favorite! If you are vegan or don't like honey, you can always use maple syrup or agave nectar. You can also use white sugar if you prefer.
- Dijon Mustard- I use this not only for the flavor but also because it is an emulsifier. That means it keeps the oil and vinegar from separating.
- Salt- It takes a little bit, but it is worth it.
How To Make
It is so simple to make your own salad dressing. If you have not tried it before, you will be surprised.
Add all ingredients to a mason jar (my preferred method for mixing) or a small bowl.
Shake or whisk with a wire whisk well to combine. Then taste and adjust the honey and salt as needed.
That is it! This dressing is so simple to make!
There are a few things to note about this citrus-balsamic dressing.
If you want, you can always make this a lemon or lime dressing. Sub out the fresh orange juice for fresh lemon juice or lime juices. The tangy flavors of citrus are what make this. The taste is great no matter what you decide. Orange is my personal favorite.
My favorite way to serve this dressing is over a green salad or even an orange salad. Or how about spinach salad with strawberries or orange segments?
Another way to serve this is over salmon. Place salmon on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brush generously with the dressing then broil. I like to brush it again after about 5 minutes of baking.
Other Dressing Recipes
I love homemade salad dressing and cannot wait to share a few of our favorites with you.
My balsamic poppy seed dressing is one I make 90% of the time when I am making my own dressings. It is just a go-to.
Creamy Apple Cider Vinaigrette is also a really dressing, especially for those fall salads. This is another tangy dressing.
I also love this Red Wine Vinaigrette too.
All these dressings are so simple to make, just like this balsamic citrus salad dressing.
If I am using another citrus, how will the recipe change?
It is exactly the same. You will probably need to adjust your sweetener as lime, lemon, and grapefruit are much more tart.
How long will this dressing hold for?
Most of my vinaigrettes will hold for about 7-10 days. With the fresh orange juice, this one only lasts 3-5 days.
My vinaigrette has been in the fridge for several days and is starting to separate. What do I do?
This is natural and SHOULD happen. Don't stress. Shake or mix until it is combined again.
Citrus Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing Recipe
- ½ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar you can use dark or white.
- 3 tablespoons honey
- dash salt
- Add all ingredients to a mason jar or small bowl. Start with ⅛ teaspoon of salt.
- Mix well and taste after mixing. Add more salt or honey as needed.
- That is it! You are done. Isn't it so simple??
- Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!