These delicious fudgy brownies are a must-have for anybody with a chocolate craving. This recipe combines good quality dark chocolate with whole wheat for a healthier twist on a classic gooey brownie. If you have a smaller family or group of friends you are making this for, this is the small batch brownie recipe for you!
What Makes This Go Good
The best thing about this recipe is the flavor. I mean, come on, who doesn't love a fudgy thick brownie? The dark chocolate with walnuts makes this a perfect dessert for any day.
These chocolatey brownies have the best fudgy texture. If you are into cake-like brownies, this is not the recipe for you.
There is nothing better than homemade brownies, especially when they are made well. This is so much better than a box mix!
- Large egg
- Granulated sugar- I really like to use a blend of granulated sugar and brown sugar.
- Dark brown sugar
- All-purpose flour- This recipe will use a blend of all-purpose flour and whole wheat. It is a healthier way to make brownies, but still retains their original flavor and texture.
- Whole wheat flour- Whole wheat pastry flour is the best for this recipe. It is a lower protein flour and gives the best texture.
- Butter- Butter is a must for brownies.
- Walnuts- These are optional, but I really like them!
- Unsweetened cocoa powder- Hershey's Special Dark is the one I use. I love the combo of the cocoa powder and the bar.
- Dark chocolate baking bar- As noted above, I really like the combo of both. I love Ghiradhelli dark baking bars.
How to make
First, shave or chop your dark chocolate bar into pieces. Add it to your butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds, then mix until it is smooth.
Beat your egg and sugars until they are light and fluffy. This will take a few minutes, so don't rush it.
Add in vanilla and mix again for another 30 seconds. As a side note, if you are on a sugar detox, you may need to wait on these brownies as they are loaded!
Next, sift in flours and unsweetened cocoa powder, or dutch process cocoa powder as it's also known. My favorite brownie recipes are always a combo of the chocolate bar and cocoa powder. At this point, fold the dry ingredients in.
Pour batter into 2 prepared 4-inch loaf pans. I sprayed with pan spray, for quick release. This makes a small batch of brownies, so you shouldn't need too big of a pan.
Bake the brownies in the oven. The bake time is somewhere around 10-15 minutes.
Once they are baked, turn them out onto a cooling rack to let them cool.
I cut each loaf into 3 pieces. You could also use 1 loaf as a piece if you want, no judgment here.
I used pure vanilla, but you could also use a teaspoon vanilla extract.
The size of the pan will determine the baking time. I used two small loaf pans, so my baking time was only 12 minutes.
Some of my favorite mix-ins include different kinds of nuts, chocolate chips, M&Ms, mints, etc. You could also add in ½ to 1 teaspoon of espresso powder for an extra kick!
If you want to go for double chocolate brownies, add in ½ cup dark chocolate chips
While I used a larger amount of brown sugar, you can also 100% white sugar. Brown sugar gives the best chewy texture.
You can also use red winter wheat or rye. I have also used a whole wheat pastry but preferred the higher protein in the white winter.
Yes, these brownies will hold well for 2-3 days. Wrap them tightly with plastic wrap or in an airtight container and store them at room temperature
You can easily swap it out for semi-sweet or even milk chocolate. No adjustments to the recipe are necessary.
Other Chocolate Recipe
- Molten Chocolate Lava Cake
- Dark Chocolate Rye Cookies
- Chocolate Cake Roll with Peppermint Filling
- Dark Chocolate Almond Tart
Small Batch Brownie Recipe
- hand mixer or whisk
- 2- 4 inch mini loaf pans
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ ounces dark chocolate bars, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour I prefer using whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- dash salt
- ½ cup chopped walnuts optional
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Spray or butter your loaf pans and set them aside.
- In a small bowl, add the chopped dark chocolate and butter. Melt for 30 seconds in the microwave, then mix until it is smooth.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the egg, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Mix on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until they are light and fluffy.
- Add in the melted chocolate mixture and the vanilla.
- Mix for another 30 seconds. Then add in the flours, salt, and cocoa powder. Again, mix until it is combined.
- If you are using walnuts, they are added in last. I like to use the spatula to mix them in.
- Divide between your 2 prepared loaf pans.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. It will not take long, DO NOT OVERBAKE. Although, I do like my brownies a little fudgy and gooey. Bake for 12-14 if you really like yours baked well.
- Remove from the pan and allow them to cool slightly. I know it is tempting to eat them right away, but they are much better if they cool slightly.
- Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!