Easy Superfood Dark Chocolate Disks. No need to ignore your sweet tooth with these heavenly, guilt-free superfood dark chocolate disks. This delicious and simple recipe is also a great way to add superfoods to your diet. They are the perfect combination of sweet and nutritious, packed with healthy ingredients such as dark chocolate, chia seeds, and popped quinoa. Make these chocolate disks ahead of time to store in your fridge for a healthy snack to enjoy later on and curb your cravings
Ghirardelli Bittersweet Chocolate. Dark chocolate is one of the most popular and beloved superfoods. It has high contents of antioxidants such as fiber, iron, magnesium, potassium, copper, manganese, and zinc. Dark chocolate is more bitter in flavor than other varieties. Although, be sure to have this superfood in moderation since it still contains sugar. For this recipe, I used Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Dark Chocolate. It is recommended to select a brand with a cocoa content of at least 60% to have the best nutritional value.
Popped Quinoa is the main whole grain used for this delicious dessert. The gluten-free superfood is known to be rich in vitamins and minerals. It also boasts a significant protein and fiber content. Our popping method enhances the earthy, nutty flavor of the grain and creates a crunchy texture that works so well in this chocolate dish. The process involves heating a pan to its smoking point on the stovetop. I typically use a heavy bottom pan and find it allows for the best results. Toss in about two to three teaspoons of quinoa and heat until most of the outer shell is broken. Immediately remove the quinoa and allow it to cool for at least two minutes. Tri-Colored Quinoa.
Melting The Dark Chocolate
Melt your chocolate in a glass bowl in the microwave, removing in 30-second intervals while stirring in between. Leave about 25% of the dark chocolate unmelted and mix slowly until it is completely smooth.
Once the chocolate is completely melted, add half of your superfood ingredients to the bowl to cool for about five minutes. These ingredients include popped quinoa, chia seeds, pecans, currants, and unsweetened coconut flakes. These ingredients provide texture, similar to chocolate bark, in this dish. They also are a fantastic source of nutritional value. Dried coconut, pecans, and chia seeds contain rich amounts of protein, fiber, and immune-boosting antioxidants.
Forming The Easy Superfood Dark Chocolate Disks
Place spoonfuls of the chocolate mixture onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Sprinkle the remaining ingredients on top and place them in the refrigerator to settle. Use whole pecans during this step for added texture. I typically allow the chocolate disks to cool for at least five minutes before serving.
The Finished Easy Superfood Dark Chocolate Disks
These are also the perfect treats to take on the go in a zip-lock bag and will make a great addition to your next meal prep. These chocolate disks are great to bring to work as a light snack to keep you energized and focused for a long day at work. Allow them to cool in the refrigerator or freezer overnight before taking them out to ensure they will not melt throughout the day
I am assuming that if you have read through this recipe, you might be as into dark chocolate as I am. If do, let me recommend a few other recipes for you to check out.
- If you are looking for something similar to these chocolate disks, I think you will also love this Dark Chocolate Bark.
- This Dark Chocolate Tart is also amazing. Especially the rye crust that is the base for it.
- These Dark Chocolate Rye Cookies are also really good.
- I love these Baked Chocolate Donuts too.
- Peanut Butter Protein Brownies
- 8 ounces dark chocolate
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons quinoa
- ½ cup dried currants
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- ¼ cup chopped pecans plus a whole pecan to top each disk
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut
- Heat pan over medium heat until it is really hot. You don't want it to be smoking, but hot. Add 1 tablespoon of the quinoa into the pan at a time. The quinoa should start to pop right away, within a few seconds. As soon as it pops, within about 10 seconds, remove it and place it on a plate to cool. Set aside.Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.Chop the dark chocolate and place it in a microwave-safe bowl with coconut oil. Microwave in 30-second intervals. Mix between each interval. One thing to keep in mind, do not heat until it is melted all the way. You want to melt it until it is about 75% melted. Remove the chocolate from the microwave and gently mix until the chocolate is melted. To the chocolate, add in almost all the add-ins. Make sure to reserve some for topping. Let the chocolate cool slightly, about 5 minutes. Then drop the chocolate disks onto the baking sheet. I made 10 disks, but you can make more or less, depending on the size you want. Top with the reserved add-ins. I like to cool in the fridge, but if your house is cool enough, you can always let them harden at room temp. To store, if you don't eat them all right away, store them in an airtight container. I like to store them in the fridge, but if your house is cool enough, you can always keep them at room temp!Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it.
No. The health benefits aren't the same with milk chocolate or white, but you can certainly use them!!
No! You can easily leave this out. It adds a fun little crunch, but I know it isn't for everyone!
I don't recommend it. It is better to use a dried whole grain, you don't want the extra moisture content in there.
You can essentially use any type of dried fruit, nuts, seeds, etc you are into. The possibilities really are endless!
These are good up to 7 days at room temp.
Yes, this is a great way to extend their shelf life. Remember to store in an airtight container.