In our house, we love a good homemade biscuit. These Green Chili and Jack Biscuits- Whole Wheat are on a level all their own, and one everyone loves!
What Makes These Biscuits So Good?
If you like Southwestern flavors, you will love this flavor combo. We have the green chilis and pepper jack cheese, but it also has the cracked black pepper and cumin too. If you have not tried these together, you need to.
They are easy to put together. It is a drop biscuit, which basically means it is scooped onto the baking sheet. No rolling, cutting, etc. Drop them on and bake.
I am going to show you how to do these without a food processor, which is generally my preferred method. That means anyone can make these.
They are a healthier version as they are made with 100% whole wheat flour. I love to use whole grains in my recipe, and this is no exception.
If you are new to baking with whole wheat, let me teach you how! This recipe is a great place to start as it is so easy and tastes amazing.
- Whole Wheat Flour- I personally perfer whole wheat pastry flour for this recipe, but you can use any whole wheat flour you like.
- Baking powder- this is the leavener that will give the biscuits their rise.
- Salt- it doesn't take too much, but is necessary!
- Cumin and Black Pepper- If I am making any baked goods with green chilis and jack, I will ALWAYS add in cumin and ground black pepper. They play so well together.
- Green Chilis- I used canned. You can choose anything from mild to hot depending on your heat preference.
- Grated jack cheese- I used a pepper jack, but you can use just a plain Monterry jack if you prefer.
- Chilled butter- I freeze mine for this recipe, and will explain more about that below.
- Milk- This is a drop biscuit, so I use more milk than I normally would in a biscuit.
Start by mixing all your dry ingredients in a medium size bowl. Set it aside.
The grate your cheese and set it aside as well. Now, if you are not using the food processor, as I did in my Whole Wheat Buttermilk Biscuits, then it is easiest to grate your butter.
It might sound weird, but you will have to trust me on this. I like to freeze the butter first, then grate. The butter needs to stay chilled until it hits the hot oven.
Then add your butter to the dry ingredients and mix well.
Add in the remaining ingredients and mix until it comes together, no need to overmix.
Scoop onto a baking sheet, and press gently. I like to use a portion scoop for this, it ensures the biscuits are all the same size. If you don't have one, just use a regular spoon.
Place in the oven and bake until the biscuits are golden brown. That is it! So simple, right??
How To Make The Perfect Homemade Biscuit
1- Make sure all cold ingredients are....cold. Sounds simple, right? Well, in order to get those light biscuits, you have to start with chilled butter and buttermilk. You want those butter chunks whole when they go in the oven, When you do this, the butter will melt and create small pockets, this keeps the biscuits light and not heavy.
2-Make sure your oven is heated, and hot. I love to bake these on convection, about 400-425 degrees.
3- Do not overwork your dough. All ingredients are ONLY mixed until they are combined. No need to overdo it.
I used whole wheat pastry flour, but you can use any other whole wheat flour you like. It is a lower protein flour that produces a really tender biscuit, which is what I wanted for these.
If you do not have it and want to use what flour you have, Red winter is great, as is white. Spelt and rye would also be great options.
One thing to note as well is that biscuits do not hold well for a really long time after they are baked. They are best eaten within 48 hours.
You sure can. This recipe works with either white or wheat. No adjustments need to be made.
They don't last long in our house, but I know they will be good for 2 days. If they get a little hard, just throw them in the microwave for about 15 seconds.
Yes! They are a little spicier but so good!
Other Whole Wheat Recipes
- Whole Wheat Biscuits
- Bran Muffins
- Multigrain Bread
- Strawberry Sugar Cookie Bars
- Honey Oatmeal Bread
Green chili and cheese biscuits- whole grain
- baking sheet
- Cheese grater
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ cup diced green chilis
- 1 cup grated pepper jack cheese
- ½ cup chilled butter I actually like to freeze it.
- ½ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. If you have convection, set it to 400 degrees convection.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment for easier cleanup.
- Mix all ingredients in a medium-size bowl and set aside.
- Grate your butter and mix it with the dry ingredients. Once it is mixed, add in the remaining ingredients. Mix only until it comes together.
- Scoop 6-8 biscuits on your baking sheet. The number will depend on what size you want your biscuits.
- Place in the oven right away and bake until they are a beautiful golden brown.
- Remove from the oven. I love these nice and warm, but they are delicious when they are cooled too!
- Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it.
Leave a Reply