Healthy Beet And Popped Quinoa Salad. Are you looking for a simple and super healthy salad? I have got one for you! Where most of my salads are greens-based, this one isn’t. I used red cabbage for a little crunch and a beautiful color to use with the beets.
Cooking Your Beets
The first step in this salad is to cook your beets. I used to always roast my beets in the oven. That was until I discovered you could cook them in your pressure cooker. It was such a game changer and I use this method all the time now. I included the recipe below, but basically, you add it to your pressure cooker, on a rack if you have one. I don’t have one, so I set the beets right on the bottom with a little water. Cook on high and release. I don’t even peel my beets before cooking, I wait until they are cooked, then peel. I cut mine into thick matchstick sizes, but you can cut them however you choose.
If you have never popped whole grains before, I recommend you try. It is a really simple process and such a great way to get in your whole grains. How do you do it? Let me tell you….heat a pan over medium heat for at least 3-5 minutes. You want the quinoa to pop within a few seconds of adding it to the pan. Know also, you need to use a small amount of quinoa to pop at a time. I used about 1 teaspoon in my pan. You can always cook batches back to back as long as your pan is still hot. Now, once it is popped remove it immediately from the pan. They will burn quickly, so as soon as most of them are popped, get them out! You can use any type of quinoa you like, I used tri-color quinoa I had in the pantry.
The Rest Of The Healthy Beet And Popped Quinoa Salad
Now that the quinoa is popped and the beets are cooked. The rest is so easy! You can adjust this recipe however you choose, but let me show you what I used. I cut up apples, I love them with cabbage. Pepitas make their way into my salad all the time. Carrots are the perfect compliment to this salad as well. Here are the ingredients in list form:
- Roasted beets
- popped quinoa
- anything else you want to add
The Finished Healthy Beet And Popped Quinoa Salad
This is the finished salad and it is beautiful! The colors are bright and beautiful, which makes it so much easier to eat. Plus, it is so simple to put together!
This salad can be eaten just like this, but I prefer it with dressing. I included a red wine poppy seed dressing I am in love with. If you don’t want to make a dressing, I recommend using a vinaigrette and let me share a few favorites with you. I love Brianna’s Dressings. The Blush Wine Dressing is a favorite. There is also the Raspberry Poppy Seed which is great.
Other Popped Grain Recipes
Are you interested in popped grains? Are you looking for other recipes? Let me give you a few suggestions of ones I have used recently.
- I love dark chocolate, and I love that you can create a healthy whole grain treat by using them in a Dark Chocolate with Popped Amaranth
- I also used them in this Winter Greens Salad with Popped Amaranth.
Beets cooked in a pressure cooker
- pressure cooker
- 3-5 beets
- 1 cup water
- Prep your beets for cooking by removing stems and washing well. Place in pressure cooker with water. If you have a steam tray, add that in before adding the beets. Seal your pressure cooker. Set for 15 minutes on high pressure. Once the timer has gone off, allow for the natural release. When the pressure has been released, carefully remove the lid. The beets will be very hot, of course, so be careful. They are ready to peel at this point.Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!
Red Wine Poppyseed Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey or sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard if you prefer, you can always use 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons poppyseeds
- Combine all ingredients in small bowl or canning jar, like I do.Mix well. You can use it right away, or store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!