If you are looking for a great, cozy soup, this Simple Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup is it. It's a vegetarian/vegan soup, but hearty enough for carnivores.
It is also quick to make, a one-pot dish, and it reheats well, so it is perfect for meal prep. This made enough that I was able to enjoy it 3 more times throughout the week, this is ideal on those busy days when you need that meal prep! It has an impressive resume, right??
What Is In This Lentil Soup?
Let take a look at what is in this amazing soup:
- Sweet potatoes
- curry powder
- cayenne powder
Let's Make This Lentil And Sweet Potato Soup!
It is always best to make sure you have everything ready to go. I use a process called mise en place, or everything in place and ready to go.
Start sauteing your onions. A lot of people like to skip this step when making soups or other hot foods, but I don't recommend it. It takes a lot of the "bite" out of the onions if you saute them. I love shopping for cookware at Marshall's and most of my pans are stainless steel. I have never bought a set, I prefer to choose what pans I need and purchase them for a discounted price at Marshall's.
Add in your sweet potatoes and garlic. Saute this for only a minute or 2. Garlic likes to burn, so keep an eye on it.
Now, add in your lentils, stock, spices, etc. Give it a good mix.
Cover and reduce the heat.
Once the lentils are tender, then pour in your coconut milk and kale. Cook for several minutes until the kale is wilted and the soup is blended.
The Finished Lentil Soup with Sweet Potatoes.
That is it, and the soup is done! I am telling you, this is such a simple soup. I use it for meal prep. Well, the measly meal prep I do. This is a good-sized recipe and you should have leftovers!
I can almost smell it again just looking at this photo. Your house will smell so good when this is cooking and for several hours after!
What is soup without some carbs? Nothing in our house! How about these options for dinner rolls?
- Parker house rolls are ALWAYS a good option. They are tender and so delicious!
- Garlic herb rolls are also so good!
- I also love these whole wheat walnuts rolls.
Maybe you are looking for a salad to go with this soup instead. Here are a few I can recommend:
- This Wild Rice and Apple Salad would be a good compliment to the soup!
- We are currently obsessed with this Autumn Kale Salad. It is loaded and so tasty!
Or are you looking for something sweet to end your meal with?:
- A whole wheat oatmeal cookie with dark chocolate and dried cherries is a great sweet treat that isn't overly sweet.
- Gingerbread Cookies are also on repeat here because we just love them!
Simple Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ⅔-3/4 cup minced onions
- 4 cups sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger If you don't have the fresh, you can always use 1 teaspoon powdered.
- 1 pound lentils
- 6 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 tablespoons yellow curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper if you prefer a little less spice, reduce this to about ½ teaspoon
- 2 teaspoons salt you can taste and adjust the seasoning after it has cooked
- 2 cups chopped kale
- ¾ cup cilantro plus more for garnish
- 1 15 ounce can coconut milk
- Heat medium-size stock pot over medium heat. Once it is heated, add olive oil. Then add in your onions. Allow them to saute for about 3 minutes. Once they are cooked, add in your garlic, ginger, and sweet potatoes. Let these cook for only about 1-2 minutes. Next, add in your lentils, stock, curry powder, cayenne, kale, and salt. Cover and reduce heat to low. This will need to cook for at least 15-25 minutes. Check occasionally to stir and check for tenderness of the potatoes and lentils. Once it is cooked, pour in the can of milk and cilantro. You can reserve a little of the cilantro to use for garnish. This soup is really delicious the day of, but it is also really good as meal prep. It will hold well in the fridge for up to 5 days. Just remember to cover tightly!Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!