This clean eating recipe is just what you need for a healthy start to your day or even a healthy snack idea. If you are looking for killer granola, this Healthy Homemade Granola Recipe.
Why Do You Need To Make This Healthy Granola...Soon!
Something me and my family love about this healthy homemade granola recipe is that it is so easy to make. You might think making granola on your own is time-consuming, but this recipe is going to prove you wrong. You can mix and bake this in about 30 minutes.
This granola is made with all clean ingredients. If you are on a clean eating diet, this is the breakfast food for you. It is naturally sweetened with maple syrup and uses olive oil for the fat.
Another perk of this recipe is it holds really well. I like to make a huge batch of this and throw it in the freezer. When you do this, it holds for at least 3 months! Isn't that great?
This granola recipe is vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free. It really will work for just about any food lifestyle!
- Old Fashioned Rolled Oats- It needs to be regular, not quick cooking. These get a little mushy and don't hold up as well.
- Maple Syrup- You can also use honey, but I like the maple syrup. Plus, the flavor of the maple syrup is perfect with the granola. Make sure you are using pure maple syrup when choosing a syrup. The other syrups are loaded with refined sugars and honestly don't taste that great!
- Unsweetened Coconut- You can use sweetened if you prefer, but I prefer the unsweetened.
- Olive oil- I used to use butter, but olive oil is healthier for this.
- Vanilla- I only use a little for this, but it is a really good addition.
- Salt- Again, just a touch, but important.
- Sliced almonds- You can use any other nuts you prefer if you aren't into sliced almonds.
- Dried Fruits- I used dried cherries, but you can use any you like, or mix several types if you like.
How To Make The Healthy Granola
- Mix the oats, coconut, maple syrup, vanilla, and olive oil.
- Pour it onto a baking sheet.
- Bake until it is golden brown, mix it and continue to bake until it is all golden brown. Make sure and watch this, nothing is worse than burned granola. It just doesn't taste good!
- Once it is cooled, add in the other add-ins.
- You can store it at room temp for at least 3 weeks.
- I prefer to store in the freezer though. It will hold well for at least 3 months.
The recipe I shared is a basic recipe, but it can become so much more, depending on what you add to it.
Nuts and Seeds- These are great additions to your granola! Some nuts and seeds that I have used and love include almonds, walnuts, pecans, pumpkin seeds, pepitas, cashews, or anything else you can think of. I like to add the nuts in before baking to toast it with the oats.
Dried Fruit- I used cherries, but dried cranberries, apricots, raisins, and dates are all really delicious in this recipe! I add these after it is baked.
Chocolate- I also love to add dark chocolate chips to my granola. This can be added after baking.
Zest- This is to add in a fun citrus flavor. You can add in lemon, orange, grapefruit, etc.
Is Granola Bad For You?
Let me say, it depends on the type of granola you are eating. There are some really unhealthy brands and recipes out there. This one, and many others like it, are not!
This one uses a lot of old-fashioned oats as a base. Oats are super healthy, and as well as being super rich in nutrients, they have been proven to lower blood sugar levels. Oats also help lower cholesterol levels, which helps prevent the risk of heart attacks and strokes.
This granola is also naturally sweetened. I used maple syrup to sweeten it, so if refined sugars are something you are avoiding, this is for you.
I used olive oil for the oil in this recipe. Olive oil is high in monounsaturated fats, which is much healthier than other choices. It can also reduce
your risk of type 2 diabetes.
Dried fruit might be high in calories, but it is also healthy. They contain lots of great fiber and antioxidants.
Storing The Granola
This recipe is great to store! Granola can sit at room temp for several weeks, just make sure it is in an airtight container.
My preferred method is storing this granola in the freezer. This will allow its life to extend so much longer. Like months longer. Plus I love the taste of the cold granola in cold milk.
Serving The Granola
- With milk as a breakfast cereal. This is my most often used way. I use an unsweetened almond milk with mine, but use any milk you like!
- On top of yogurt. This is my second favorite way to use it. There are a lot of really great yogurts out there Or you can even make your own, like I did in this Instant Pot Yogurt Recipe.
- Plain. I mean, it is a great crunchy little snack that is slightly sweetened.
- In a cookie. I made these Muesli Cookies, but the recipe will also work with this granola.
- On top of ice cream. If you think it tastes good on yogurt, you have got to try it on ice cream! It is such a yummy addition.
FAQ Healthy Granola
The recipe certainly is. You will need to make sure and check ingredients on your end, but most are clearly marked.
I have only tested it with honey and maple syrup. Maple syrup is my favorite out of those 2. But you can try other liquid sweeteners if you want. If you are using a granular sweetener, I would mix it with the olive oil first to make sure it will blend well and stick to the granola for baking.
Coconut oil is another great one. If it is solid, melt it down first. If you want, you can also use butter. That is how my mom taught me to make granola and I made it like that for years. It is really good!
Other Whole Grain Breakfast Ideas
- Red White and Blue Overnight Oats
- Strawberries and Cream Porridge
- Whole Wheat Waffles
- Potato and Gruyere Galette
- Cranberry Orange Muffins
Healthy Homemade Granola Recipe
- baking sheet
- 6 cups old fashioned oats
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ⅔ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- ¾ cup unsweetened coconut you can use sweetened if you prefer
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Other add-ins of choice I used dried cherries, but really you can use whatever you like. Different dried fruits, nuts, etc. If you use chocolate chips, just make sure to add them after the granola is cooked and cooled.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- If you are using it, line your baking sheet with parchment. You don't have to do this, but it makes cleanup so easy.
- Mix all ingredients, minus the dried fruits and chocolate chips if you are using them, in a medium-sized bowl. Make sure to mix it well so the salt and vanilla are well distributed.
- Pour onto a baking sheet and spread evenly.
- Place in the oven. Bake for 10 minutes and mix or flip the granola to cook both sides.
- Once it is golden brown, between 20-30 minutes, remove it from the oven.
- Allow it to cool and mix in your dried nuts and chocolate chips if you are using them.
- That is it. Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!!
- If you are storing this for long term, it stores really well in the freezer. Once it is cooled, I put it in a large ziplock bag, it holds well for several months.