If you are looking for a delicious and healthy breakfast, start your day off with this Best Strawberries and Cream Porridge. It has complex carbohydrates that are excellent sources of energy and fuel. This porridge is made with Einkorn, an ancient grain that has made a comeback within the last couple of years!
Why Should You Use Ancient Grains?
Wondering what Einkorn is? It is also known as farro piccolo, and is considered the oldest form of available wheat. It is a small kernel, with amazing flavor, and texture.
I use it for baking, but also love it for breakfast porridge as shown here. Nutritionally, Ancient Grains are far superior. Today’s grains are genetically modified, this recipe takes us back to those original grains which are healthier for our bodies.
Ancient grains have not been refined with white rice/flour, so they tend to be higher in protein, vitamins, and zinc.
No problem, you can use Emmer or Kamut. These two options are both healthy options and ones I love to use for breakfast porridge.
I have a source here in Idaho that I love called Ancient Grains. They are an amazing family-owned farm. You can also find these grains on Amazon or Azure Standard, I ordered from them frequently as well.
- Einkorn Wheat
- Maple Syrup- for topping
- Heavy Cream
- Chopped Strawberries
Cooking Ancient Grains in a Pressure Cooker- A Simple Solution
I used to cook my grains over the cooktop, but the past year I have started to cook them, almost exclusively, in my pressure cooker.
It is so much easier as you do not have to babysit your grains, you can walk away, and it is faster. Einkorn would normally take about 60 minutes to cook, but I can cook it in my pressure cooker in around 25 without the hassle of worrying about it boiling over! I use the Instant Pot 6-quart and LOVE it!
No Pressure Cooker? No Worries! The best thing to do would be to soak the grains overnight, this reduces the cooking time by almost half. Then put them in the water on your stovetop for about 30 minutes. Watch to make sure your water does not boil over.
Serving Suggestions For Best Strawberries And Cream Porridge
I mix mine with milk and maple syrup to begin. To keep this breakfast healthy, I try to keep granulated sugar out. The pure maple syrup works as the perfect sweetener. I top my porridge; I drizzle it with 1-2 tablespoons of heavy cream and a good number of strawberries.
If you have dairy allergies or are avoiding dairy, full-fat coconut milk is a really great substitute. I love the flavor of the strawberries.
This porridge is the perfect base for so many toppings. If you are looking for some other ideas, let me share a few I love and use often. Other topping options:
- Dried fruits
- Any other fruits you love
Simple Breakfast Meal Prep
This is a perfect make-ahead breakfast as you can cook a large batch of grains at one time. Once your grains are cooked all you must do is throw it into your microwave with a little milk and maple syrup, topping with heavy cream and strawberries after pulling it out.
Breakfast is a vital part of your day, why not add this simple and healthy porridge to your daily routine? Perfect for meal prep, this Strawberries and Cream Porridge will put a smile on your face.
Yes!! I love using spelt, white winter wheat, emmer, and kamut. They can be cooked the same way.
I love to use oat groats for porridge. They are the whole oat kernel and so delicious for a breakfast porridge. You can also use quinoa or buckwheat as well.
You really can use anything. I know there are a lot of strong feelings about sugars in general. I used maple syrup as I was trying to keep refined sugars out. You can also use honey, brown sugar, coconut sugar, or even just the fruits to sweeten it.
Coconut milk is so good with this porridge. I use the full-fat coconut milk as it is so creamy and delicious!
Other Whole Grain Breakfast Options:
If you are looking for other whole-grain breakfast ideas, let me share a few I love:
- These Sprouted Oat Pancakes are just the lightest fluffiest pancakes ever. You will love this gluten-free option!
- I love the flavor of these Healthy Carrot Cake Pancakes!
- Or maybe waffles are your thing? How about these whole wheat waffles? They are so good!
- If you are a fan of biscuits like we are in our family, you will love these green onions and gruyere biscuits. They are so flaky and delicious!
- A Savory Galette is also one of our favorites here!
- Cranberry Orange Muffins are also a great way to start any day!
Best Strawberries and Cream Porridge
- 2 cups Einkorn Wheat
- 4 cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- maple syrup for topping I use about 1-2 tablespoons per bowl
- milk for after it is cooked. I use about ½ cup per bowl. This will be personal though.
- heavy cream I use about 1-2 tablespoons per bowl
- 2-3 cups Chopped Strawberries
- Place einkorn, water, and salt into the pressure cooker. Seal and start pressure cook for 20 minutes. Once it is finished, do the quick release. Remove the lid and check the grains. If there is still quite a bit of liquid, there never is in mine, but might be in yours. If there is still liquid, you can turn the pressure cooker back to saute and let it cook out a little. This will make enough for 4 servings with some leftover.Next, divide the einkorn into your serving bowls. I like to add the milk and maple syrup and mix it in. Then add in your heavy cream and top with the berries. If you are using this as meal prep, when it is finished cooking, allow it to cool, then pack in airtight containers and store it in the fridge for up to 7 days. Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!
Leave a Reply