Want to know how to bake a lemon chamomile bundt cake? I have a great recipe for you to try. While it seems a little complicated, it is actually much more simple than you might imagine.
I am not a tea connoisseur by any means. If you are, please don’t judge :). I used Twinings Tea. Not for any preference, but it was what I had at the house and it is easily accessible.
Add the milk, chamomile tea, and honey to a small pan. Heat over medium heat until it is just under a boil. Remove from heat, cover, and allow to steep for 10 minutes.
After the 10 minutes, strain the milk. Don’t stress if you get some of the tea in it, you will add in more later.
Making the Cake Batter
Now, let’s start on the cake batter. Add you butter to the bowl.
I used granulated sugar but also used honey for flavoring as well. Mix well.
Next up are the eggs and vanilla.
I used all-purpose flour and whole wheat pastry flour for my flour mix. I ALWAYS use a blend in my baked goods. My family prefers it this way. I use a Nutrimill for grinding my wheat. Pastry flour comes from soft winter wheat. I have a great farm I love to buy mine from in Washington.
Now, add in your chamomile steeped milk.
Preparing your pan
I have a fondness for NordicWare bundt pans, and this one was a gift from my family last Christmas. I love it so much. Bundt cakes are a little tricky to bake in. You need to be mindful to prepare it properly or you will certainly be cussing after it is baked. I like to brush mine with melted butter, then add flour and tap that around until it covers the buttered part of the pan. Trust me, take the time to do this or you will regret it.
Bake until it is perfectly golden brown and ready to go.
Lemon Chamomile Cream Cheese Icing
The crowning jewel is the lemon chamomile icing. I didn’t get photos of me making this, but just imagine. Add your cream cheese, butter, chamomile, powdered sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice to bowl. Mix until it is well blended.
Top with more fresh lemon zest and chamomile flowers. While I didn’t eat the chamomile flowers, they are so pretty as a topping. The lemon chamomile bundt cake is such a wonderful cake.
I found these flowers at Trader Joe’s. I am not sure I have ever seen a fresh chamomile flower? They are so beautiful!
Here it is in all its glory. Done and so Impressive! This Lemon Chamomile Bundt Cake is so pretty.
I have a slight obsession with bundt cakes. There is something so beautiful about them! If you are looking for other ideas, I have so many to choose from!
Lemon Chamomile Cake
- bundt cake pan, stand or hand mixer
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons chamomile tea leaves
- 1 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon chamomile tea loose
- 1 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Lemon Cream Cheese Glaze
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- lemon juice this is to the consistency desired.
- Add milk, 2 teaspoons chamomile tea and honey to a pan. Heat just under a boil. Remove from heat, cover, and steep for 10 minutes. Now, strain the tea leaves from milk and set the milk aside to cool. Don't stress if you have a little bit of the tea has slipped in, we will be adding in more later anyway.Now, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prep you bundt pan for baking. I like to do this by brushing the inside with melted butter. Make sure and cover all areas. Then lightly dust with flour as well. I realize it might seem excessive, but trust me, you don't want the headache of a cake that won't remove from you pan after the bake.Let's get started with the cake. Mix your flours, baking powder, salt and 1 teaspoon chamomile tea in small bowl and set aside. Add butter and sugar to mixing bowl. Cream on medium high until they are light and fluffy. Eggs, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla are added next. Mix these only to combine. Add half your steeped chamomile milk and mix to combine.Add half you flour mixture and mix to combine.Add last half of milk and combine. Then comes the last of your flour. Combine.Pour batter into prepared pan. Place in oven and bake for at least 45 minutes. You might go longer than 45 minutes, but start checking at this point. I like to use the toothpick test, or even by touch. When testing by touch, I gently press in the center of the cake. It should feel like it is ALMOST done. There is a process called carry over cooking that happens after any food is removed from heat source. The residual heat of that particular food will continue to cook even when removed from heat. For this reason, I underbake just a touch, not much, but a touch. Remove from oevn. Allow to cool about 10 minutes, then invert the pan to cooling rack. Continue to cool until you are readyo to glaze.
Lemon Cream Cheese Icing
- Combine cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, lemon zest, chamomile tea to bowl. Mix on high until smooth. Add lemon juice to reach consistency desired. Now. pour generously over the cake. Top with more lemon zest if you like a stronger flavor- Like I doNow, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!