These mushroom burgers with caramelized onions gave me all the feels!I haven't had a big fat burger in awhile, not cutting out meat or anything, but for some reason some time has passed since I enjoyed one. So how about a big beef burger, caramelized onions, the mushrooms all topped with a rosemary and black pepper mayo artisan bun. Yum, yum and yum!
I normally just do a plain beef burger, topped with just about everything I can add to it. This burger was born from a collaboration on Instagram featuring... you guessed it, mushrooms.
Preparing the mushrooms and onions
So, start this burger with your these lovely little fungi. I used a simple white mushroom, bought in the bulk at Costco. Slice the mushrooms for sauteing.
While I was slicing the mushrooms, I felt like caramelized mushrooms would need a place on these burgers too. They were sliced the same time.
Add the mushrooms to a hot pan with a little olive oil. I also sprinkle with salt and add a little minced garlic. Mix these occasionally. They will cook and begin to shrink substantially within 5 minutes.
I had the onions caramelizing at the same time too. Caramelize them on a medium low for at least 15-20 minutes.
Rosemary and black pepper mayo
Now, on to your rosemary black pepper mayo. It's simple. Add your mayo, rosemary, black pepper and lemon juice to a small bowl and mix.
Everything else is ready, so not let's get those burgers started!
You can grill your burgers, but I love to do mine in a cast iron skillet. Lodge is my favorite!
Assembling the mushroom burgers with caramelized onions
Time to assemble!! I bought the artisan rolls at Costco. If you want to make your own, that's great! Add the burgers.
Layer on those caramelized onions.
Pile on those mushrooms! I promise you, they make the burger!
You can add the mayo on the top or bottom. I added mine on the top!
Top it off and it's done!
This burger is huge. It's intense. It isn't for everyday, but it is so good when it does happen.
While I love these mushroom burgers with caramelized onions are amazing, I realize they are not for everyone. If you are looking for a lighter option? What about these teriyaki chicken burgers? Or if beef isn't your thing, what about these black bean burgers?
Mushroom burgers with caramelized onions.
- 3 cups onions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Rosemary and Pepper Aioli
- ⅓ cup mayo
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt to taste
- 5 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1- ½ pounds ground beef
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- There are a few things that will need to happen at the same time, but in this recipe, let me tell you how I do it. Start with the onions, as they will take the longest.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and heat. Add in onions and turn heat to medium-low. Add salt. Saute, stirring occasionally until the onions have turned a deeper caramel color. This will take a while, so be patient. It will probably take at least 20-25 minutes. You can use them right away or even store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Mix all ingredients for the aioli while the mushrooms and cooking. Taste and check for salt. Add it as needed.
Burgers and Shrooms
- While the onions are cooking, prep the mushrooms and the burgers.
- Mix the seasoning for the burgers. Form 4 patties and season them with the seasoning,
- Heat nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and heat. Next add in mushrooms, salt, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms are tender and have shrunk. Mine took about 5 minutes.I prefer to use my mushrooms right away. They can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days if you need to.
- Now, heat your grill or cast-iron skillet as I did. You will want it pretty hot before you add the burgers.
- Once it is heated, add the burgers. Cook for about 3-6 minutes per side, depending on how you take your burger.
- Next, assemble the burgers. Add the burger to your bun, then the mushrooms, onions, and swiss cheese.
- Last, slather with the aioli!
- You are done. Sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!