If you are looking for an easy shrimp appetizer, let me share one you are going to love! These Simple Shrimp And Avocado Crostini are it! They come together with minimal ingredients, are ready in under 30 minutes, and are the perfect tasty little bite! What are you waiting for? Keep on reading or skip ahead to the recipe.
What Is To Love About This Appetizer?
There are so many things to love about this simple appetizer? Oh, there are just so many things!
For starters, it is light and refreshing- it feels like summer in a tropical climate. Also, the crostini is so simple to make- it comes together in under 30 minutes. There are also minimal ingredients needed. Once you make this once, you will want to make it again and again.
Ingredient List For Simple Shrimp And Avocado Crostini
- Shrimp- You knew that was coming, right? I like a larger shrimp, then there is only one needed for each crostini. I like to purchase mine peeled and deveined, but not cooked.
- Baguette- You really can use any bread you choose, but the size of a baguette is perfect for this appetizer and keeps them bite-sized.
- Avocado- Shrimp and avocado are a match made in heaven! Make sure it is ripe and ready to go.
- Tomato- This is optional, but also really good if you are into tomatoes.
- Spices- I used chili powder, cayenne, cumin, garlic salt, and salt.
- Cilantro- not necessary, I used it for topping
- These really are best served and eaten within an hour or so. If it goes longer, the bread gets soggy and isn't as good.
- You can add other ingredients to the crostini as well- think red onions, jalapenos, etc. It is up to you and the sky is the limit.
- Your shrimp can be made ahead of time and refrigerated. This will save time before serving. I personally prefer cooking it before serving, but chilled is tasty too.
- If you do not like this as spicy as we do, reduce the cayenne pepper, or take it out altogether.
- We all know avocados are finicky creatures, so I like to make my avocado mix not any more than an hour so before serving. Then it won't brown. Even though there is lime juice in it, it will still brown eventually.
Cooking The Shrimp
The most important thing to note about shrimp is NOT TO OVERCOOK. Rubbery shrimp is the worst! To avoid this, cook it hot and fast. I will explain below.
My cast iron griddle gives the best sear, so it is the one I always use. If you don't have cast iron, you can always use any other non-stick pan you might have.
Sprinkle with your spices, and add the shrimp to you heated pan. Sear quickly- about 1-2 minutes per side. Then remove immediately.
FAQ About Shrimp Crostini
I would be really careful about doing this. The bread will get soggy with the avocado mixture, so I like to assemble at the last minute. You can however, make all the components ahead of time.
Cast iron cookware is my favorite for getting a good sear. I love it as it holds the heat well and really even. If you don't have cast iron, and aren't ready to make the investment, nonstick is good as well. I would avoid stainless steel for the simple reason that without a lot of oil, the shrimp will stick.
If you are looking for vegetarian options for the crostini, you can always marinate tofu in lime juice and the spices listed above. Fry it until crispy and add it on top.
When I plate my platter, I also like to add on extra lime wedges. We love to give an extra squeeze right before eating.
Can I Make These Ahead Of Time?
Well, these are actually best assembled right before eating. Let me tell you what you can do to do prep ahead of time. Slice your bread and have it ready to go. Slice your tomatoes. You can also mix your avocado mixture about 1-2 hours beforehand. The shrimp can also be cooked about 30 minutes before serving. Then it is just a matter of putting it all together.
Other Appetizer Ideas
If you have a get-together coming up and are looking for more great appetizer recipes, let me help you out. I have tons I think you will love!
- Filet and Burrata Crostini- If Crostini are your thing, you are going to love this crostini!
- Marinated Feta- I love serving this marinated feta on appetizer platters. Plus, it is make-ahead, so super simple to do!
- Roasted Tomato Caprese- One of my all-time favorite hot appetizers. It is so simple to make and delicious.
- Healthy Broccoli and Cheese Bites- If you are looking for a healthy appetizer option, how about these tasty little bites??
- Butternut and Bacon Toasties- For a heartier appetizer, consider this option!
- Asparagus wrapped in Puff pastry- I can eat so many of these, I really should make it a meal
Simple Shrimp and Avocado Crostini
- cast iron or non stick skillet, baking sheet
- 12 large shrimp
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper you can use less if you prefer it less spicy
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large avocado mine was a good size, once I cut it out and cubed it, it was a little over a cup
- 2 tablespoons lime juice fresh squeezed
- 1 baguette
- 1 tomato thinly sliced and slices cut in half to fit the bread
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil for tasting baguettes.
- 2 tablespoons cilantro finely chopped
- Combine all spices. Spice generously over over the shrimp. Heat your skillet over medium heat until it is hot. Add your olive oil to the pan and swirl it around. Then add in your shrimp. Cook for about 1-3 minutes per side. You do not want to overcook. For mine, I cooked just a little over a minute on each side. Once they are cooked on both sides, remove from pan and set aside. Mix your avocado and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper as desired. Next, brush your sliced baguette with olive oil. I also like to sprinkle with a touch of salt as well. Place the slices on your baking sheet and bake until the bread is golden brown.Next, start assembling! Add a tablespoon or 2 of the avocado mix to the bread. Then lay on your sliced tomato. Next up is the shrimp, and lastly sprinkle with a little chopped cilantro. That is it and your done! These are best made, served, and eaten within 2 hours. Otherwise the bread gets a little soggy!Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it.