I have made a lot of breads in my life, like a lot. These strawberry and cream rolls are definitely are up there in the top ranks. They are tender, and swirled with the strawberry and cream, they are just dreamy. As if that wasn't enough- I also drizzled them with a lemon glaze. Y'all....
Start with the strawberry sauce. I used frozen berries for these, as I have quite a few that need to be used up soon. You can tell by the amount of frost on them, they have been in the freezer for awhile.
I add the strawberries and sugar to a pan, cover and let them thaw over medium low heat.
Once it is thawed, throw it into the food processor to pulse. If you want bigger chunks, don't pulse as much. This can also be done in a blender if you prefer. I love my Cuisinart food processor, it is a great workhorse and has been so reliable for so many years.
This post will show how to roll the twists. It isn't hard, but hard to show in photos.
- 3 cups frozen strawberries
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Add berries and sugar to thick bottom pan. Cover and heat on medium low until the berries are melted. Then put them into a blender or food processor and blend until fairly smooth. Return to pan and add the cornstarch. Whisk really well to distribute the cornstarch evenly. Turn on medium high heat and cook until slightly thickened, mine took about 6 minutes to cook. You will want to bring it to a boil, and let it boil about 2-3 minutes. It won't be really thick, but it doesn't need to be really thick. Allow it to cool, and use as needed. Now sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!
Strawberry and Cream Rolls
- 1 cup warm milk This should be right around 100 degrees, just barely warm to the touch
- 2 ½ teaspoons instant yeast You can also use an active dry. Measurements can stay the same amount, simply activate the yeast in your milk first before adding in remaining ingredients.
- ¼ cup honey or sugar I have used both and like both. This is a personal choice.
- ⅓ cup butter or oil of choice I prefer softened butter
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups whole wheat flour I used Einkorn, but have also used a hard red and white winter. Einkorn is my preference, but also really like a hard white too!
- 2-4 ½ cups all purpose flour This is set as a variable because so much will depend on humidity, measuring techniques etc. There are a lot of variables. Read below in instruction on how to tell when enough is enough.
- ¼ cup potato flakes This is optional, but I really love it as it helps produce such a tender bread
- ¾-1 cup strawberry jam or sauce (recipe below) If you want more or less than this, make the alterations.
Sweetened Cream Cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened I use a lowfat variety, but use whatever you prefer
- 2-4 tablespoons sugar or honey I used 2 tablespoons, as I don't like my sweets really sweet. After mixing, test it, add more if desired
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups frozen or fresh strawberries
- ¼ cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Add all ingredients to mixing bowl, starting with 2 cups all purpose flour. If you are mixing by hand, the same concept will follow. Now, mix for about 1 minute on medium speed, or knead for 2 minutes by hand. This will give you a feel for how much more flour you need. If it still really wet after the minute, add in 1 cup flour. Mix another minute, then add in another ½-1 cup flour as needed. MAKE SURE you are mixing at least one minute per time to determine how much more flour you will need. The final dough should be tacky (slightly sticky), but not too wet. Wheat flour will absorb more liquid than an all white dough as it rises and bakes, so be mindful of that. You can see in the photo on the post, there isn't dough around the edges of the bowl, but it is tacky. If the area you live is really humid, you may need more flour, so be mindful of this. Once you have the dough the consistency you want, cover and allow to double in a warm place. With my Bosch mixer, I just put the lid on. While it is rising, make the sweetened cream cheese shown below. Also, line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Once it has doubled, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. You want this to be lightly floured, just enough to keep it from sticking. Roll to a 18inx18in square.Spread a layer of the cream cheese filling. On top of this, carefully spread the strawberry filling. Now, imagine the dough is divided in thirds, top to bottom. Fold the left hand third over and the middle third. Next fold the right hand third over the middle. This is easier to see than explain, so check the photos on the post. Now, with a pastry wheel or sharp knife, start to cut one inch strips across the folds going lengthwise. Take each one inch piece and twist. Roll and tuck under. There is a link in the post with a video of the roll. Follow that technique. These will be messy, so just brace yourself for this!Place on a parchment lined baking sheet, making sure to leave at least 3 inches between rolls. Cover with saran wrap lightly and allow to double. Towards the end of the doubling time, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place trays in oven.While they are baking, make the lemon cream cheese drizzle.Now, be careful not to over bake. It is the key to keeping these light and fluffy. Mine were a light golden brown. You can drizzle the lemon cream cheese on while they are still warm, or wait until they have cooled slightly. Now, sit back and enjoy. After that work, you deserve it!!
- I like to make this while the bread is rising the first time. Add berries and sugar to thick bottom pan. Cover and heat on medium low until the berries are melted.Then put them into a blender or food processor and blend until fairly smooth.Return to pan and add the cornstarch. Whisk really well to distribute the cornstarch evenly. Turn on medium high heat and cook until slightly thickened, mine took about 6 minutes to cook. You will want to bring it to a boil, and let it boil about 2-3 minutes. It won't be really thick, but it doesn't need to be really thick.Allow it to cool, and use as needed.
Sweetened cream cheese filling
- Add all ingredients to bowl and mix with a hand mixer or by hand until it is smooth. Taste and adjust sweetener as desired.
Lemon Cream Cheese Drizzle
- Mix all ingredients until well blended. Use enough milk to it to the consistency you want.