If you love zucchini bread, and love carrot cake, you will definitely love this bread. It’s a great combo.
This is also a healthier version as well- reduced sugar and fat, whole grain flour and plenty of veggies. So, you can feel good eating it!
Start by grating your veggies. It’s important to grate the zucchini first, give ti time to set, because you will need to squeeze it after a few minutes to remove excess liquid. Otherwise the bread will get mushy.
A good zucchini bread also has plenty of cinnamon. It almost seems blasphemous to not include it.
Mix your dry ingredients in a small bowl, wet in a slightly larger bowl.
Combine the 2, then add in the grated carrots and zucchini.
Pour into prepared pan.
Bake until it’s slightly under baked. It will continue to bake even after it is removed from oven.
When I reduce the sugar in recipes, sometimes I sprinkle the tops with sugar. It’s only about a tablespoon, but it still gives you the impression there is plenty of sugar. It’s a mind game. 🙂
If you can stand it, the smell is so amazing, let it cool completely. Slice and watch it disappear. Our’s went quick.
Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it.
Zucchini carrot bread
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup melted butter, or neutral flavored oil
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanillla
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup grated zucchini make sure and squeeze zucchini well to release as much liquid as possible.
- 3/4 cup chopped nuts, optional I prefer walnuts, but any nut you have a preference for will be good.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.Prep baking pan. Spray with pan spray, or coat with butter.Start by grating your carrots and zucchini. It's good to grate the zucchini early, it needs to have time to sit. After it has at awhile, you will need to squeeze it really well and remove as much liquid as you are able.After the veggies are grated, start by mixing the dry ingredients. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.Set bowl aside.In another larger bowl, combine the brown sugar, oil, egg, and Greek yogurt. To this add the flour mixture. Combine, careful not to overmix. Add in the grated carrots and zucchini, remembering to squeeze the zucchini first before adding. If you are adding in nuts, not is the time to add those as well.Mix again, but only to combine. Pour mixture into prepared pan. I like to sprinkle it with about 2 tablespoons sugar. This isn't a necessary step, but I have found if I reduce the sugar in the recipe by a substantial amount, hardly anyone notices if I sprinkle a little on the top. Place in oven. Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out almost clean. I like to let carry over cooking finish the baking. This ensures the bread won't dry out, especially when you are using whole wheat flour. Mine took about 25 minutes. It's kind of a small batch bread.Let it cool for several minutes in the pan before removing. Once it has cooled enough to remove, do so and place on a cooling rack. You can eat this right away, or wait until it has completely cooled. Either way, it is delicious!Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!!