I loved that carrot cake combo, but am also really into this banana bread/zucchini bread combo.I cannot even tell you how many times I have made this bread in the last month. Probably at least 10 times. In fact, I feel pretty certain I’ll be making it a few time more before my zucchini plants are played out.
I love zucchini bread so much, but the with the addition of bananas, it takes the bread to a whole new amazing level. Plus, the bananas also bring up the moisture level in the bread.
Like all my quick breads, this is made with whole wheat flour, reduced sugar and reduced fat. Being careful to not over mix and over bake is the key to keeping this bread moist and flavorful. Keep that in mind when you are making this bread for yourself, which I promise you will want to do!
Start by mixing the dry ingredients in one bowl and wet in another. Grate your zucchini and squeeze to drain. Mash your ripe bananas.
Mix the zucchini and bananas with your wet ingredients. Combine the wet and dry, mixing only to combine. Remember not to over mix, this will make your bread tough. With any all wheat dough, this is easier than normal to do.
When you bake, make sure and take from the oven when they are slightly underbaked, just SLIGHTLY. They will continue to bake even when you remove them from the oven. This is especially important with all wheat baked goods.
Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!
Banana Zucchini Bread
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour You can also use an all purpose or gluten free if you prefer.
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup neutral flavored oil or butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar you can also use granulated, coconut or even maple syrup if you prefer
- 1 egg
- 1 cup grated zucchini squeeze to remove liquid
- 1 cup ripe bananas, mashed about 2 bananas. If you have 3, you can definitely use all 3.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.Prep pan of choice. You can use the square brownie pans like I did, regular muffin pans, or even an 8×10 pan. Any are a great option.In small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.In another, larger bowl, add oil, sugar and egg. Mix to combine. Add in zucchini and mashed bananas. Mix to combine. Add in dry ingredients, at this point be careful not to overmix. You don't want tough muffins!Divide or pour into pans. Bake until toothpick inserted comes out almost clean, Remember baked good will continue to bake after they are removed from the oven. These square one I made took about 12 minutes, if that gives you a better idea. Allow to cool if you choose, or dig right into them!Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!