I made these Amazing Caramel Chocolate Pecan Bars in celebration of my upcoming 18th anniversary! It is so mind-blowing that the hubs and I have been married for that long. He has always been a lover of good food, a combo of caramel, pecans, and chocolate is one of his favorites! Which is where the idea of these was born.
The base for these caramel pecan bars is essential, otherwise, I really feel like these would be way too sweet. With this base, however, it creates the perfect balance. My Bosch Mixer is my workhorse in the kitchen, and I love it! If you are considering a new mixer, click on that link above for my why on using a Bosch. So, start with your butter and sugar. Cream these until they are light.
I used a mix of all-purpose flour and whole wheat pastry flour. I ground soft winter wheat from a great farm in Washington, Farm Fresh Wheat.
This is an egg-rich dough as well. I prefer to use just the yolks for richness, so add those in and mix.
This is a great 9×13 size, so let’s prep the pan. I do this by lining my 9×13 pan with either parchment on the bottom, or even tinfoil like I did here.
Your mix will look a little crumbly, but don’t stress about that. Add it to the pan.
Now, press into pan. From here, place in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes.
Caramel Pecan Filling
Now, let’s start on the caramel pecan filling. Add your butter and brown sugar to a pan, and heat on medium.
Bring it to a boil. Then add in your evaporated milk, vanilla, and salt.
Last in for the filling is the pecans. Add these in and mix well.
Putting the Bars Together
Now, all our components are ready, let’s put it all together. So, pour your chocolate chips on the shortbread crust. Go ahead and be generous with these! I used a Hershey’s dark chips, dark chocolate is always my preferred chocolate.
Then pour your caramel pecan filling on next. Place in oven and bake for another 20 minutes.
The Finished Amazing Caramel Chocolate Pecan Bars
Here are your finished, beautiful caramel chocolate pecan bars. The layering, in my opinion is perfect.
I worked at a bakery forever ago that used to make some caramel pecan bars similar to this and they always cut them into diamond shapes. I loved it, so decided to replicate in my recipe.
My husband was so excited when he came home and saw these waiting for him! He ate 2 right away and took another in his lunch the next day. I think he was pretty excited!
Amazing Caramel Chocolate Pecan Bars
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream or even evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups pecans, whole or pieces
- 2 cups chocolate chips I love dark chocolate, but if you prefer a milk or semi- sweet, use it!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.Line a 9×13 pan with tinfoil. You can also line the bottom with a piece of parchment if you prefer. Set the pan aside. Now, to make the shortbread crust, you can either mix it by hand, a hand mixer, or even a stand mixer. I used a stand mixer for mine, as it was easy, and I always have my mixer on hand. So, mix the butter and granulated sugar until it is creamy. Next add in your flours and salt. Mix again. Last up, add your eggs and mix to combine. Be mindful not to over mix here. Add the mix to your 9×13 pan, spread, and press firmly into pan.Place in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven.While your crust is baking, let's start your filling. So, add your butter, brown sugar, and honey to a medium-sized pan. Heat over medium heat until it comes to a boil. Remove from heat. Add in heavy cream, vanilla, salt, and pecans. Mix well. Now, pour your chocolate chips evenly over the shortbread crust. Pour the pecan filling over the chocolate chips and shortbread crust. Spread carefully. Place bake in the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes. You will want the filling to be bubbling for several inches around the outside edge. Remove from the oven. You can eat these right away, but they are very difficult to cut and remove when they are hot. I remove them from the pan by carefully pulling up the tinfoil and quickly and carefully moving to a cooling rack. Allow to cool for at least 30-45 minutes, then peel back the tinfoil and remove it from the bottom. They are ready to be cut and enjoyed! I like to eat these as they are, but the hubby likes to heat them just a bit in the microwave and serve with some vanilla ice cream. These bars are delicious the day of, but can also be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days! If they have been stored in the fridge, I like to pop them in the microwave for a few seconds to heat just a touch. Now, sit back and enjoy. You certainly deserve it!!