This Cozy Sausage and Ravioli Soup is such a simple soup to make. It is ready in about 30 minutes, which makes it perfect for a busy evening when you want something hearty and cozy on the table quick!
Making the Soup
I used a spicy Italian sausage for our soup, but if you prefer something a little more mild, go for it! Also, I used a Lodge enamel Dutch oven for this soup, and you can tell, this pan has been well-loved! I use this thing all the time!
Start adding in your veggies you will cook with the sausage- onions, celery, carrots and garlic.
Cook until the sausage is done.
Add in your water and bring to a boil. If you prefer, you can use a chicken or veggies stock. I think there is enough flavor in the sausage and veggies, water is fine!
The last veggies I add in are the mushrooms, zucchini, and spinach. I add them last as I don’t want them to get too mushy. They only take about 5 minutes to cook!
The last step is your ravioli. If they are fresh, I bought these in the refrigerated section, they should cook within minutes! Then add in your evaporated milk and you are done! The soup will be really hot and the milk will heat up in no time!
The Finished Cozy Sausage and Ravioli Soup
Here is the finished soup. It is cozy, hearty, and so delicious you will want to come back for more!
We served our soup with pita and a little bit of parmesan sprinkled on top. Perfection in simplicity!
Cozy Sausage and Ravioli Soup
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage you can use mild too if you prefer.
- 1 cup onions chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 cup carrots diced
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt this is a variable, you will taste towards the end and decide if more is needed.
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-2 teaspoons crushed red pepper optional, but we love the kick!
- 4 cups spinach or kale
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups zucchini sliced
- 1 package ravioli or tortellini We use the family size cheese ravioli, but use ravioli or tortellini of choice.
- 1 15 ounce can evaporated milk
- Heat large pot or enameled Dutch oven over medium heat until it is hot. Add in your sausage, onions, celery, carrots, and garlic. Cook, stirring to break up until the sausage is no longer pink. Add in water, Italian seasoning, salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper if you are using to pan. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Allow to boil for about 7-10 minutes. Add in mushrooms, spinach, and zucchini. Allow to continue to boil another 5-10 minutes. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed.Add in ravioli and cook another 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and add in your can of evaporated milk. The soup is ready to serve!!We love it with some type of bread (of course we are carb lovers). A hearty whole grain is perfect, or ciabatta, french bread, or even pita like we served it with here. This soup is best the day it is made, but can also be reheated. Just know the pasta will not hold well with the reheating. My hubby didn't mind that though, and he enjoyed it the day after!Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!