This whole grain cake has such great flavor, Of course with the cinnamon and cider, it just tastes like fall. So yummy! The whole grain flour adds a nutty texture to this fall infused dessert, that I think is so good. I hope you love it as much as we did!
Start by beating your butter and brown sugar with a hand mixer, like I did, or a stand mixer. You can mix it by hand , but it will be a little trickier. Actually if you are wanting a good arm workout, this is definitely the recipe to try it on!
I always love brown sugars in fall recipe, almost all with dark brown sugar. I didn't have any for this recipe, so I used light brown.
After the butter and sugar have been mixed well, add in eggs and vanilla.
Mix well, but careful not to overmix. Once the eggs are in, it's easy to overmix. To make this a one bowl recipe, add dry ingredients on top. I pour flours on first, then spices and leaveners on top. Mix the spices and leaveners on the top of the flour, careful not to mix in with the wet until the dry ingredients are combined. Then mix the wet and dry together. Careful again not to overmix. One of the biggest problems with whole grain baking is people overmix or overbake. Both can produce a tough and dry texture.
Last step is your apple cider. Oh yes, it adds so much flavor!
You can see, I hadn't combined the dry all they way. It is easy to overmix, so I don't mix in dry all the way until I have added the apple cider. When I add the apple cider in, I change from the beaters to a spatula and fold it in.
Pour into bundt pan, or whatever baking pan you are using.
Bake until it is slightly underbaked. It will continue to bake even after it is pulled from the oven. Allow to set for a few minutes and remove from pan. Brush with melted butter.
Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. I have seen plenty of recipes where the cinnamon sugar is practically a coating. I prefer to do a light dusting. If you prefer it the other way, you should definitely do it that way!
Now, serve and enjoy. You deserve it!
Apple Cider Bundt Cake- Whole Grain
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar you can use light brown or dark brown
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup cider
- ¾ cup unsweetened apple sauce
Cinnamon sugar and Butter coating
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.Prepare pan. You can either butter, or even butter and sprinkle with flour if you are worried about your cake not coming out. I didn't have any problems with just the butter, but if you want the extra security, go for it!This is a one bowl recipe, so get a bowl large enough to work in. Start by beating butter sugar until light and fluffy. Add in eggs, apple sauce and vanilla. Beat only until almost combined. Now, to make this a one bowl recipe, add flours on top of wet ingredients. Then add the spices and leaveners on top of the of flours. Mix spices and leaveners into flour, then mix all into dry ingredients. Last is the apple cider. I like to fold this in as I don't want to overmix.Pour batter into bundt cake pan. Bake until cake is slightly underbaked. It will continue to bake even after it is pulled from the oven. Allow to cool for a few minutes then remove cake from pan. I like to let it cool for another 30 minutes. Mix cinnamon and sugar in small bowl.Brush cake with melted butter, this is for flavoring, but also so the cinnamon sugar has something to stick to. Next sprinkle cinnamon sugar all over the cake. Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!