I should have made more of this couscous dish, because now that it's gone I'm missing it! What better combo of food is there than PASTA (I could stop right there...) and roasted veggies? Not very many, that's for sure.
Let's get into the method.
I made a veggies stock first. You can use a store bought, no problem. If you have an extra 15 minutes, it's simple and tastes much better. I make mine with onions, celery, carrots salt and garlic. Throw all the veggies in a pot, cover with several inches of water and let it boil for 15- 40 minutes. If you can let it go the full 40 minutes, that's best. If not, the 15 will still be good!
Next, boil your couscous in the stock.
While this is boiling, roast your veggies. I started with bell pepper, onions and squash. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. That's it. It doesn't need much seasoning, the taste of the veggies is enough.
Roast these veggies for about 10 minutes. Prep your mushrooms and broccoli the same way as the other veggies, olive oil salt and pepper. Add them to the pan after the 10 minutes are up and continue to roast another 5-7. I don't like the mushrooms and broccoli to roast very long.
The couscous should be done at this point. Add in spinach if you are using. Mix and let it wilt.
When veggies are done, mix with the couscous. I sprinkled mine with parmesan. If you are vegan, skip the cheese.
I like to eat mine warm, but it is also delicious chilled. It also holds well, so make it ahead and reheat, or serve cold the day of. Mine held just fine for the 3 days I had it.
Couscous with roasted veggies
- 3 cups vegetable stock homemade or store bought
- 2 cups couscous I used pearl couscous
- 4-6 cups Assorted veggies for roasting
- olive oil for drizzling over veggies
- to taste salt
- to taste pepper
- to taste Italian seasoning
- ½ cup parmesan optional
- If you are making your own veggie stock- here's how I make mine. 1 cup onions (rough chop), ¾ cup celery (rough chop), ¾ cup carrots (rough chop), 2 tablespoon minced garlic, 6 cups water, 1 teaspoon salt. Bring All ingredients to a boil and over medium heat continue to let this cook for 15-40 minutes. 40 minutes is preferred, but 15 will be good also. Strain out veggies and retain 3 cups liquid. Return to boil over medium and add couscous, stir occasionally. While it is cooking, start your veggies. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.Prep your veggies for roasting. I like to roast my harder veggies first, and save my softer ones for the last 7-10 minutes. So, I started with chopping my onions, bell peppers and squash. I drizzled them lightly with olive oil and sprinkled with salt and pepper. Spread across a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes.Your couscous should be done. Stir in spinach, if using and and let it wilt. While they are baking, prep you softer veggies ( same technique as other)- I used mushrooms and broccoli. Remember you can sub in or use any veggies here. m Add them to the same pan and return to oven. Continue to bake another 5-7 minutes. When veggies have finished mix them with the couscous in a large bowl. I sprinkled in some parmesan, it added great flavor. It is optional though, so you choose.Now that it's done, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!