Oh lentils, I know not everyone loves you….but I sure do.
This salad is healthy, relatively simple to throw together, and holds well for several days, making it an ideal make ahead dish.
Start with the lentils. I always rinse really well.
Cover with plenty of water and a dash of salt. Bring to a boil and simmer on medium until tender.
Drain and set aside to cool.
Combine all salad ingredients in large bowl, but probably not as large as mine…it was the only clean one in my kitchen.
Prep your dressing. I always use mason jars. It’s so simple to mix, and no utensils needed.
Combine all and sprinkle feta over the top.
Serve. Sit back and enjoy. You deserve it.
Mediterranean Lentil Salad
- 4 cups cooked lentils
- 2 cups cucumbers, large dice
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup red onion, large dice
- 3/4 cup olives your choice here. I used black, but green would be amazing too
- 1/2 cup feta
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt this is to taste. if you need more, add it
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper to taste also
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Cook your lentils with your preferred method. Here’s how I do mine- rinse well with water. Cover lentils with several inches of water in saucepan. Remember to give them plenty of room, they swell. Cook until tender, but not mushy. You want them to hold their shape in the salad. Add more water if you need to during the cooking process. Once cooked, drain water and let them cool.In small jar combine all ingredients for dressing. Shake well to combine.In large bowl, combine all ingredients for salad. Pour dressing over all and mix carefully to combine. Sprinkle with feta. Eat immediately or store in fridge overnight for serving the next day. The salad will keep in the fridge for up to 3 or 4 days.