If you are looking for a delicious, healthy salad that can be a side dish, snack, or even a light meal, this Mediterranean Lentil Salad is just the salad for you!
What Makes This Meditteranean Lentil Salad So Good?
The combination of flavors is perfect. I took the classic cucumber, tomato, red onion, and feta flavors, then threw in the lentil powerhouses to add another flavor that plays so well with the others.
But it isn't just the flavors, it is also the textures. I used a variety of textures that complement each other as well.
Another really great thing about this salad- it makes a great meal prep. It holds well for at least 4-5 days, so double the recipe and you have a nice healthy lunch for the rest of the week.
Clean Eating Salad
This is such a healthy salad. All the fresh veggies and heart-healthy lentils. This is a vegetarian and vegan salad.
This is also considered a clean-eating salad. No processed foods here, only goodness! This is a salad you can feel good about!
- Red Onions
- Olive oil
- Lemon Juice
- Red wine vinegar
- dijon mustard
Why Use Lentils?
Lentils (or pulses as they are sometimes called) are nutritional powerhouses and we should certainly use them more than most of us do. They help to lower cholesterol, can protect us from diabetes, and are high in fiber.
This fiber is key to digestive health. They help contribute to gut health, bowel movements, etc.
They are also a great source of plant-based protein. Many people use them as a meat alternative.
What Kind Of Lentils Should I Use For The Salad?
I use just regular old brown lentils. They are very inexpensive and easy to find. But, don't stop there. Honestly, any lentil you prefer will be great in this salad.
Red and yellow do tend to be a little mushier, but if that doesn't bother you, use them!
Making The Lentil Salad
Start by rinsing then boiling your lentils in salted water. Make sure they are tender, but not mushy.
Next rinse in cool water and set aside.
Cut all your veggies and make your dressing.
Combine the salad ingredients, stirring with a rubber spatula.
Drizzle with dressing and mix to combine again.
Top with a little more feta, I mean, can you ever have enough?
Notes For Making The Lentil Salad
One of the most important suggestions I have is not to overcook your lentils. You want them to be soft and tender, but not mushy. It is kind of a tricky little line, so just be careful.
I like to rinse my lentils in cold water after cooking them. This cools them off, keeping them from getting too mushy, but also cleans them off, making them prettier to use in the salad.
If you are planning on using this for meal prep where the salad will be held longer than 3 days, Don't add the dressing or feta yet. I would add both the day you are planning on eating it!
Other Salad Ideas
- Green Goddess Salad
- Fruit and Microgreen Salad
- Asian Slaw
- Strawberry Basil Salad
- Shaved Brussel Sprouts Salad
- Vegetarian Couscous Salad
- Superfoods Salad
Mediterranean Lentil Salad
- 1 cup lentils
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups cucumbers, large dice
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup red onion, large dice
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- ¾ cup feta
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper to taste also
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon salt this is to taste. if you need more, add it
- Rinse lentils well with cool water. Add lentils to a medium saucepan and pour in the water and ½ teaspoons salt.
- Cook until tender, but not mushy. You want them to hold their shape in the salad. Add more water if you need to during the cooking process.
- Once they are tender, drain and rinse with cool water. Set aside while you prep the rest.
- Combine all your chopped veggies in a bowl. Then once the lentils are cooled, add them in as well.
- Now, combine all ingredients for the dressing. Mix well and taste. If you need to, based on taste preferences, you can add more honey, or if you like it a little more salty, add in a little more salt.
- That is it! It's done!
- This will hold well in the fridge for up to 4-5 days. I do suggest if you are holding it longer than 5 days, to hold off on the dressing and cheese. It is much better this way!
- Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!