Are you wondering about the difference between oatmeal vs cream of rice, keep reading to find out more. Oatmeal and cream of rice are two popular breakfast options that provide essential nutrients to start the day. While they may seem similar, there are distinct differences between these two dishes. Either type of cereal is easy to find in most grocery stores.
I wrote another post all about the differences between Cream of Wheat and oatmeal if you are looking for the differences between these 2 kinds of cereal as well. Just like the oatmeal and Cream of Rice, there are also major differences between these 2 as well.
Differences between Cream of rice and oatmeal
- The first, and main difference is they are made from 2 different grains. Oatmeal comes from oat groats, while the cream of rice comes from
- The texture of the two cereals is also very different. Cream of rice has a smoother texture that is more creamy. The texture of oatmeal on the other hand is a chewier texture.
- Additionally, oatmeal has a light nutty flavor, while the cream of rice has a more neutral taste.
- Another difference between the two cereals is their nutritional content. Oatmeal is a good source of fiber and protein, making it a popular choice for individuals who want to feel full and satisfied until their next meal. It is also a good source of vitamins and minerals, such as iron and magnesium. Cream of rice, on the other hand, is an excellent source of carbohydrates and iron, making it a great option for individuals who need a quick source of energy. It is also a good option for individuals who have gluten sensitivities, as it is naturally gluten-free.
Similarities between Cream of Rice and Oatmeal
Oatmeal and cream of rice have some notable similarities. Both are whole-grain breakfast cereals that are commonly eaten for breakfast.
- • Whole grains are an important component of a healthy diet and can provide essential nutrients like fiber, protein, and healthy fats.
- • Both oatmeal and cream of rice are gluten-free, making them suitable options for individuals with celiac disease or gluten sensitivities.
- • They are each low in calories and high in fiber, which can help individuals feel full and satisfied throughout the morning.
- • Also, these cereals can be paired with healthy toppings like fresh fruit, and nuts, or healthy fats like nut butter or avocado to provide sustained energy and promote satiety.
What is Cream of Rice and how is it made?
Cream of Rice is a hot cereal that is made from finely ground rice grains. This cereal is a popular breakfast option and is known for its smooth and creamy texture. It is an excellent source of essential nutrients, including iron and carbohydrates, making it a great option for individuals who are looking to fuel their bodies for the day ahead.
The rice grains used to make cream of rice are generally short-grain white rice, but other varieties of rice can also be used. The process of pre-cooking the rice grains involves steaming under pressure, which gelatinizes the starch in the rice and makes it more easily digestible.
The rice is then dried and milled into rice flour or powder, which can be cooked into a creamy hot cereal by adding liquid and heating on the stove or in the microwave. It is often fortified with vitamins and minerals, such as iron and niacin, to enhance its nutritional value.
Cream of Rice as a baby cereal
Cream of rice is a popular choice for infant cereal and is often referred to as rice cereal for babies. It is a good choice in introducing babies to solid foods, as it is easy to digest and is fortified with vitamins and minerals that are important for a baby's growth and development.
While breast milk and baby formula is still the primary source of nutrition for infants, cream of rice can be a nutritious addition to a baby's diet as they begin to transition to solid foods. I used to mix it with my boy's milk when they were starting on solids.
How to serve Cream of Rice
One of the great things about Cream of Rice is its versatility. It can be served as a sweet or savory dish, depending on the toppings and flavors used.
Some people prefer to sweeten their cream of rice with brown sugar or honey. I also like to add brown sugar, honey, or maple syrup.
Dried fruit is also a great topping, my favorites are dried cranberries, figs, and currants.
For higher levels of protein, peanut butter or other nut butter are options too. Chia seeds are also a good choice.
If you are on a vegan diet, be sure to use plant-based milk like almond milk and plant-based butter.
Others enjoy adding savory toppings like cheese, bacon, or eggs.
Why do bodybuilders eat cream of rice?
Cream of wheat is a popular breakfast option for bodybuilders due to its high carbohydrate content and fast-digesting properties. Carbohydrates are necessary for providing energy to the body during intense exercise, making them a crucial component of strength-building diets.
It is low in fat and contains a moderate amount of protein, making it a well-balanced breakfast option for those looking to build muscle.
Also, cream of wheat is easy to digest and can be prepared quickly, making it a quick breakfast option.
Add egg whites while you are cooking the cream of rice for added protein.
Types of oats and how to use them
Oats are a versatile ingredient that can be found in a variety of dishes, including oatmeal, granola, and baked goods. They are also one of the most popular grains on the market. We are all familiar with them.
There are several different types of oats available, each with its own unique texture and cooking time.
Steel-cut oats are a popular option for those who enjoy a chewy texture and nutty flavor, while oat groats are the least processed type of oats and take the longest to cook.
Old-fashioned oats, also known as rolled oats, are another popular type of oatmeal. They are made by flattening oat groats with large rollers and have a slightly softer texture than steel-cut oats.
Quick-cooking oats, on the other hand, are made by cutting old-fashioned oats into smaller pieces before steaming and rolling them. They cook even more quickly than old-fashioned oats and have a softer texture.
However you choose to eat them, this popular breakfast food is one of those staple foods we can all love.
Check out some of my favorite recipes below.
How to make homemade cream of rice cereal
Making your own cream of rice is a healthier alternative to traditional white carbs, as brown rice can be used to increase the fiber and nutrient content of the cereal. I will include the recipe for making your own cream of rice brown cereal in the recipe box below.
To make your own cream of rice, simply blend the rice of your choice in a blender or food processor is broken up and blended. Cook the blended rice with liquid and salt on the stove, stirring occasionally until it reaches a creamy, smooth texture.
Adding sweeteners like honey or maple syrup can also enhance the flavor of the cream of rice. With this simple process, you can enjoy a delicious and nutritious breakfast cereal that is tailored to your dietary needs.
Just remember that if you are making your own cream of rice to use for infant cereals, do not add honey as a sweetener until your baby is at least a year old.
Homemade Cream of Rice Cereal Using Brown Rice
- 1 blender or food processor
- 1 Saucepan
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 4 cups liquid I like to use a blend of water and almond milk. 2 cups of water, 2 cups of almond milk.
- ½ teaspoon salt
- toppings of choice
- Place the brown rice in your blender or food processor. Pulse for about a minute until the brown rice is broken up and in really small pieces.
- Bring the liquids to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add the rice and salt to the liquids and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cook, stirring frequently until it thickened and the rice is softened.
- Serve and top as you like. My favorite way is to top it with a little butter and pure maple syrup. If not this, then with plenty of fresh berries!