If you are a person who loves cherries, you are going to love this recipe for Simple Fresh Roasted Cherries.
What Makes Roasted Cherries So Good?
For one thing, the roasting process caramelizes the sugars in the cherries. This not only changes the sweetness you taste but also brings in a whole new depth of flavor. If you have not tried roasted cherries before, you are going to love this recipe!
Roasted cherries are incredibly versatile. I am showing them over ice cream for this recipe, but trust me, there are so many more ways to use them. These will be listed in another section.
While I really love the cherries, of course, the sauce is also to die for!
Roasting the cherries will extend their life! Once the cherries are roasted, you can easily hold them in the fridge for several weeks with no problems.
- Cherries- I used sweet cherries, but you can also use tart cherries as well. If you do use tart, I would recommend increasing your sugar.
- Honey- You can also use granulated sugar or maple syrup if you prefer.
- Cornstarch- I realize this is a little out of the norm for roasting recipes, but hear me out. It is a very small amount and thickens that beautiful sauce and cherries to perfection! If you have no tried it, you should!
How To Make Roasted Cherries
- Pit your cherries. Some recipes say you can roast them first then remove pits. This is really messy to do it after roasting. I do not have a cherry pitter, so I cut mine in half then removed the pits. An actual pitter would be much easier.
- Mix the cherries with the sugar and cornstarch.
- Place on pan.
- Allow to cool slightly, or serve them warm. I promise they are good either way.
Ways To Use Your Roasted Cherries
- My personal favorite is over ice cream with some dark chocolate chips. It is simple and so good!
- Topping your favorite morning oatmeal.
- As a parfait with yogurt and granola.
- Use it as a glaze for your meats. I love to mix it half and half with BBQ sauce.
- Serve it on biscuits and cornbread.
- It is amazing with ricotta toast!
- This list is not comprehensive. Trust me, there are so many amazing ways you can use this fruit!
What Other Fruits Can You Roast?
Honestly just about all of them. let's start with our stone fruits- nectarine, peaches, and apricots are all delicious roasted.
Have you ever tried roasting grapes? They are some of my favorite fruit to roast.
Or how about roasted strawberries in the summer? Perfection.
You can even roast bananas, pineapple, and mango.
As you can tell, you have a lot of options!
FAQ Roasted Cherries
You can and the process is the same. I would increase my sugar by a few teaspoons though, depending on how sweet you like your roasted cherries.
I don't have an exact answer for this, because they never last that long in our house. I will say they have made it up to 2 weeks! So they stay good for a while.
You can. However, I do like the texture when they thaw, so I don't recommend it.
Other Cherry Recipe Ideas
- Cherry Slab Pie
- Lovely Cherry Limeade
- Cherry and Cream Floats
- Blueberry and Cherry Rustic Galette
- Dark Chocolate and Dried Cherry Oatmeal Cookies
- Maple Roasted Plums
- 2 cups cherries, washed and pitted
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoons cornstarch optional, but will give you thicker roasted cherries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.Combine the cherries, sugar and cornstarch in a bowl. Mix well until the cherries are well coated and everything is mixed in. Place cherries on the baking sheet, spread.Bake for about 7-15 minutes. The cherries will soften and release their juices. If you have used the cornstarch, they will be slightly thick.Remove from oven and allow to cool. Use as desired. Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!
Leave a Reply