If you are looking for a light, healthy salad that is really flavorful, you just found it. This Simple and Healthy Shrimp Cucumber Salad is just like it sounds- easy to make and so delicious!
What Makes This Salad So Good?
Is it such a great combination of flavors. I love the fresh shrimp combined with the crispy cucumbers, peppers, and tomatoes. All it is dressed with is fresh lemon juice and a few herbs. The beauty of this salad is in its simplicity.
This makes a great side dish or even a light healthy meal. This salad can go both ways. I love serving it with grilled meats, but also on its own when I am looking for something light.
It is a pretty salad. It has a really pretty variety of colors that make this salad really appealing.
- Shrimp- I used a medium-sized shrimp, but you really can use size you like. We don't live coastal, so I always buy my shrimp frozen. I use peeled frozen shrimp. This is the freshest I can get it. I also buy the shrimp raw and cook it, but pre-cooked is an option as well. I will explain more in the notes section.
- Cucumbers- I like to use English cucumbers, but any cucumbers you like are great.
- Bell peppers- I used red and yellow peppers. They have a beautiful color and I love the crunch.
- Tomatoes- These were added for color and also flavor. There is something about them in this salad.
- Fresh lemon juice- Do not use concentrate, it is not the same!!
- Olive oil- I didn't add much, but I really like the flavor in the salad.
- Oregano- I like to use fresh, but I only had dried when this salad was photographed. Both work.
- Salt, black pepper, red pepper- No need to overdo it on spices. These last 3 are all you need besides the oregano.
How To Make
Thes first thing I do for the salad is to cook the shrimp. Boil the water, add the salt, then the shrimp. They will cook quickly, mine took about 1 minute. You want them to be just barely pink. Don't overdo it.
Drain and rinse the shrimp in cold water. You want them to cool quickly to stop the cooking process.
Next, prep all your veggies. Cut them into bite-sized pieces or smaller, depending on what you are going for.
Then add everything to a bowl. Gently mix. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Maybe you like more salt, add more. If you like it a little spicier, add in more cayenne pepper.
Here are a few notes on the salad. For the shrimp, I like to use raw shrimp and cook it. I know it is an extra step, but I really think it is worth it. The shrimp is best thawed first. Place the bag in the fridge the night before you plan on making the salad.
Remember to only boil for about 1-2 minutes. They will cook quickly. Remove them from the heat, drain, and rinse with cold water. You want that cooking to stop right away.
This salad is best eaten the same day you make it. You will get the best quality of eating on this salad within 6-8 hours. Do not use this for meal prep.
You can add in any other veggies you like. I kept mine pretty simple, but you can add mushrooms, greens, shredded carrots, cheese, etc. Be creative!
Shrimp really is best cooked hot and fast. There are slow cooking methods, but I always prefer hot and fast.
You sure can! Just peel after it is done cooking.
You can, but I really think it is best thawed first. If you forgot to thaw it, you can always add it to a bowl of tepid water for a few minutes and it will thaw quickly.
Other Salad Ideas
- Ancient grain and vegetable salad
- Southwestern black bean and corn salad
- Couscous and veggie salad
- Superfoods salad
- Winter salad with blood oranges
Simple Shrimp Cucumber Salad Recipe
- 3 cups cucumbers chopped
- 1 pound medium-sized raw shrimp
- ½ cup chopped bell peppers
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes I used grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1-3 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground red pepper
- Bring about 4 cups of water to a boil in a medium-sized pan. Add the shrimp and cook for about 1-2 minutes. It won't take long. Otherwise, the shrimp will get rubbery.
- Remove from the heat, drain, and rinse with cold water. I cut my shrimp in half, but you can also leave them whole if you like.
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix well. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- That is it! The salad is done. I told you this would be easy!