If you are looking for a healthy salad or dip option, this Southwestern Black Bean And Corn Salad needs to make it onto your list. Not only does it come together in about 15 minutes, but it is made with so many delicious fresh veggies!
What Makes This Salad So Good?
This is the perfect salad to use on a summer day! All these are fresh seasonal veggies. When vegetables are in season, they are at their best.
Another great thing is how healthy this is. Healthy vegetables help to maintain a good lifestyle, and the ingredients in this salad are no exception.
This southwestern black bean and corn salad is also super quick to throw together. Shucking and prepping the corn takes the longest, but even this is done in under 10 minutes!
This is vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free. Plus it is also clean eating. This salad works for everyone. If you are looking for meal prep recipes, this salad stores well so would be perfect.
- Fresh Corn- You can also use frozen corn, but fresh really is better!
- Black Beans
- Fresh Tomatoes- Canned will NOT work here!
- Jalapenos- You can also use other peppers if you are looking for a different type of heat. Try bell peppers for a milder flavor, or habanero or serrano for a hotter flavor.
- Salt and pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- Olive oil
How To Remove Corn From The Cob?
In this salad, you need to take the corn kernels off of the cob, which might sound tricky, but is actually pretty easy! To start, remove the husks from your corn. Now, boil them.
Next, stand them upright, and cut in long strokes downward with a sharp knife. Make sure to not cut too deep into the cob, but don't cut too little either
How To Make The Southwestern Black Bean And Corn Salad
- Shuck your corn.
- Boil or grill until tender.
- While it is cooking, prep your veggies, cut to size.
- Allow the corn to cool slightly. Cut the kernels off.
- Add your corn, black beans, tomatoes, jalapenos, and cilantro to a bowl.
- Drizzle with olive oil and lime juice.
- Season with salt and pepper and mix together.
- Taste again and adjust seasoning as needed.
- That is it! See, I told you it was simple.
Ways To Serve The Black Bean Salad
There are a lot of ways to serve this salad. For example, this could be the topping on top of your tacos.
Or, another great way to serve this black bean salad is with some salad greens for a southwest-style salad.
This recipe also makes a great dip for tortilla chips.
FAQ Southwestern Black Bean And Corn Salad
One of the best things about this salad is it stays really fresh and crispy for at least 5 days. Making this the perfect healthy meal prep!
While I think fresh is best, you can use frozen too. Boil your frozen corn in water for several minutes. Allow it to cool and use it just like you did the fresh corn.
The possibilities are endless here. You can add in whatever other fresh veggies you love- any type of squash, cucumbers, other peppers, cotija, etc.
Other Healthy Salad Ideas
- Peach caprese salad
- Mediterranean lentil salad
- Green goddess pasta salad
- Fruit and microgreen salad
- Strawberry basil salad
- Shaved brussel sprout salad
- Vegetarian couscous salad
- Healthy carrot salad
- Superfood salad
Southwestern Black Bean And Corn Salad
- 4 ears corn or about 4 cups
- 1 15 ounce black beans drained and rinsed
- ½ cup red onion finely diced
- 1-2 avocados
- 1 cup cilantro
- ½ bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- ¼-1 cup jalapenos finely minced
- ¼ cup lime juice you might need more, the amount will depend on your preferences
- salt and pepper start with ½ teaspoon salt and a dash of pepper. Add more as needed.
- ½-1 cayenne pepper depends on your tolerance for heat
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Bring about 10 cups of water to a boil in a large pot.
- Add in your corn on the cob.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from the water.
- Once it has cooled slightly, cut your corn off the cob.
- Let the corn cool. I spread mine across a plate.
- While it is cooling, cut up and prep all your other veggies
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and gently mix to combine.
- Add in more lime, salt, or pepper as needed. I love a lot of lime, but I know not everyone does. Adjust according to your taste preferences.
- Now, sit back and enjoy. This is great as a salad, used as a dip, or a topping for tacos.
- It holds well in the fridge for up to 3 days. The avocados will get ugly, so maybe add those as needed.