This Watermelon And Jicama Salad is the perfect summer salad. It is hydrating and comes together in under 20 minutes!
What Makes This Watermelon Salad So Good?
This salad has all the flavors you need. The combination of watermelon, jicama, cucumber, mint, and lime is perfect. The texture is crunchy and sweet and brings everything together.
Another great thing about this watermelon and jicama salad is how hydrating it is. Summer days can be hot, and you need a salad like this to cool of with.
If you are looking for a salad that takes forever to prepare, this is not the meal for you. This salad is ready to enjoy in under 20 minutes.
This salad is so healthy! everything in this dish is light and good for you. It is gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, and vegetarian. This salad works for everyone!
- Watermelon- Watermelon is such a great summer fruit, and is super healthy for you! Watermelon is very hydrating, and can help prevent heart disease.
- Jicama- Jicama is another tasty addition to this salad. This vegetable contains antioxidants and vitamins that will help you stay healthy this summer.
- Cucumbers- Cucumbers are low in calories, but high in nutrients, making them the perfect veggie for this salad. I recommend using English cucumbers for this recipe.
- Fresh Mint Leaves
- Fresh Lime Juice
How To Make The Salad
What Is Jicama
Jicama is a root vegetable that looks like a golden-brown globe. It is also known as the yam bean, Chinese turnip, and Mexican potato.
Jicama originates from Mexico, but can also be found in the Philippines and Asia. It's juicy and crunchy, almost like an apple, but the flavor is more like a cross between a potato and a pear.
To prepare the jicama, start by washing it. Then, peel it with a knife or potato skinner. Now, cut, and your jicama is ready!
Notes On Making This Watermelon and Jicama Salad
This salad is best eaten within a few days. The watermelon doesn't hold well for longer than that.
You can cut the watermelon in any shape you want, I used a melon baller for the round shape, but you can use whatever shape you prefer. You can use chunks, wedges, or even strips.
If you are looking to change the flavor of this recipe, you can also a touch of chili powder if you want after you add the lime juice. This makes the salad a little spicy and sweet, and super delicious!
This salad is best served chilled. When it is warm, the watermelon will get a little soggy, and won't have the texture you want.
FAQ Watermelon and Jicama Salad
Cheese is really great in this salad as well. I love fresh mozzarella or feta. You can also sprinkle it with chili powder as well for a sweet and spicy combo. If you want to add in honeydew or cantaloupe to the salad as well, it is really good!
I would not recommend making it more than 2 hours in advance. It still tastes good after that, but things do start to get a little mushier.
Yes! It is just a personal preference. You can use whatever type of cucumber you like. I also love lemon cucumbers in this salad. If you have not tried those, you need to!
Other Salad Recipes
- Peach caprese salad
- Mediterranean lentil salad
- Green goddess pasta salad
- Fruit and microgreen salad
- Strawberry basil salad
- Shaved brussel sprout salad
- Vegetarian couscous salad
- Healthy carrot salad
- Superfood salad
Watermelon and Jicama Salad
- 6 cups watermelon I used a melon baller, but you can cut your watermelon anyway you want.
- 2 cups jicama I cut mine until sticks, but you can cut yours anyway you like.
- 2 cup cucumbers, sliced
- ¼ cup thinly sliced mint
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- salt optional. If you like the sweet and salty combo sprinkle with a touch of salt.
- chili powder optinional again. This is if you like the sweet and spicy combo
- Combine all ingedients with a rubber spatula so your don't break it up.
- If you are using the chili powder and salt, LIGHTLY spinkle them on now.
- That is it!! Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it.