I love the strawberry lemon combo, but I actually like the strawberry lime combo even better. I love the extra tang of the lime as opposed to lemon. Yum!
I love making the mini donuts so well because they are so quick to make, small portion sizes, and you can make them pretty healthy. It's a win win all the way around.
Start by mixing your wet, and dry in separate bowls. Combine the 2 and add in the finally chopped strawberries and lime zest.
Pour into pans. Bake. Cool. Dip in glaze. Try to keep yourself from eating every single last one.
My glaze was made from powdered sugar, freeze dried strawberries ( I brought mine from the snack section on Target) and lime juice.
I just love the vibrant color the freeze dried berries. Plus, the flavor is amazing!
I like to make my glaze a little more thick than thin. I love it when I get a good coating on the donuts.
One another note, how anal are you? Or how obsessive compulsive? Or do you have someone in your family who is? I tend to be touch anal, but my oldest definitely inherited that. It came in strong from my dad. So, when I have food items I need to be straightened and "perfect" for a photo, I always turn to him. He didn't fail me in these photos.
Although he did call me an animal when I asked him to take one out of the center for one of the photos. 😉 It was almost too much. Until he stuffed the donut in his face, then all was forgiven!
Strawberry Lime Mini Donuts
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour You can also use a regular all purpose flour, or even a gluten free flour.
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar can also be subbed for coconut sugar
- ¾ cup almond milk or other milk of choice. I generally use the unsweetened almond milk as it is lower in calories. If you prefer a cow milk, that's great.
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoon melted butter or other fat of choice.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅔ cup chopped strawberries I generally cut them fairly small. You don't want big chunks of strawberries in the small donut pans.
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely ground freeze dried strawberries I did mine in my mini food processor.
- lime juice this will be a variable. It depends on how thick or thin you will want your glaze to be.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.Spray donut pans.Combine the whole wheat flour, salt and baking powder in a small bowl and set aside. In another larger bowl, combine the milk, eggs, vanilla, melted butter. Combine wet with dry and mix just to combine. Next add in the strawberries and lime zest. Careful not to overmix. Pipe into pans, or spoon in. I find the piping easier. Bake for 5-7 minutes, they will bake quickly. Remove from pan as soon as you are able. They will sweat in the pan, and you don't want that. Glaze when they have had a few minutes to cool. I let mine cool about 10 minutes, it doesn't take long. Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!