This Weight Watchers Taco Soup Recipe is made with my WW crew in mind. I have loved the program and tried to design recipes that work. This soup is an AMAZING 0 point meal, well depending on what plan you are on. Keep reading to find out all about it.
Why You Need This Soup
Whether you are on Weight Watchers or not, this is a really good soup. It is a great combo of flavors that everyone will love.
It is simple to make. Most of the soup is canned, so putting it together takes about 10 minutes. There is cooking time, but that is all hands-off.
This soup is super healthy. Chicken breasts and black beans are great sources of protein. The veggies are heart-healthy. What more could you want?
Another cool thing about this soup is it makes a great meal prep. You can reheat this in the microwave or cooktop and it tastes just as good as the day you made it.
- Chicken breast- you can also use rotisserie chicken, but I really prefer the chicken breast cooked in the broth with the other ingredients.
- Black beans- I used canned to simplify this recipe, but you can also cook your own.
- Corn- another canned food. You can also use frozen if you prefer.
- Chicken broth- Vegetable broth can also be used.
- Minced garlic- I can never leave this out in my soups (or most of my other foods as well) I love it!
- Chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, salt, and pepper- These are the spices used for the soup.
- Toppings of choice- I will share some of my recommendations for toppings below.
How To Make Taco Soup
Now, let’s get started. This soup really is so easy. Combine all the ingredients into a large stockpot. I used my Lodge Enameled Dutch Oven, but use whatever you like.
Mix it all together, turn on high and let it come to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, reduce heat to medium and let this cook for about an hour. Make sure to stir occasionally to make sure it doesn’t burn on the bottom.
At this point, check for seasoning. I don’t add any other seasoning until it has cooked down.
You can also let this soup cook longer if you like. I really prefer about 1.5-2 hours if possible.
Top as you like. To keep calories down and the soup healthier, I like to use sour cream, cilantro, and maybe avocado or red onion.
You can also top with cheese, chips, or even charred tortillas.
This soup is really simple to make, but let me share a few things that will help it turn out perfectly.
While you can use rotisserie chicken, I really prefer cooking with raw chicken. That way it has the chance to cook in all the flavors and spices of the soup. It tastes much better this way.
If you want to cook this in the pressure cooker, add all ingredients and set for pressure high for 15 minutes. Do the quick release, set to saute, and let it cook another 15-20 minutes on saute.
Maybe you want to cook it in the slow cooker? Add all ingredients and set it to cook for 4 hours on high, or 6 hours on low. Adjust seasoning after it has cooked.
FAQ Weight Watchers Taco Soup Recipe
Yes!! With lean protein and tons of vegetables, how can you go wrong?
You sure can. Make sure it is stored in an airtight container or freezer bag. It will store well for at least 30 days.
You can hold this soup for at least 7 days in the fridge. This is what makes it so ideal for meal prep. It holds well and reheats really well.
Other Soup Recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Beef Barley
- Creamy Clam Chowder
- Vegetarian Corn Chowder
- Pumpkin and Red Lentil Chowder
- Poblano Corn Chowder
Weight Watcher's Taco Soup
- Large stockpot
- 1 ½-2 pounds chicken breast
- 3 15 ounce cans drained black beans
- 2 15 ounce cans drained corn
- 1 10 ounce can rotel
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt more might be needed after cooking.
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- toppings of choice
- Add all ingredients, except toppings, to a large stockpot. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to medium once it comes to a boil.
- Let it gently boil, stirring occasionally, for at least an hour. I like to let it go a little longer if I have time.
- After it has been cooked, check for flavor. Add in more seasonings as needed.
- Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy.
Mary A Hicks says
It really was Mary!