*Updated June 30, 2021
If you are looking for a fun variation of the classic coleslaw, you will love this Simple and Crispy Apple Slaw. You are going to love how easy this coleslaw recipe is. The addition of crispy apples adds to the perfection of this salad!
What Makes This Coleslaw So Good?
If you have not added apples to your coleslaw before, you are really missing out! They add the perfect sweetness and crunch to the coleslaw.
This coleslaw also comes together very quickly, it generally takes me only 15 minutes to put together.
Another great thing about this coleslaw is that it holds well, so you can make it the day before and pull it out of the fridge when you are ready to serve it.
- Green cabbage
- Purple cabbage
- Apples- you can use your apples of choice. I prefer gala in this recipe but you can use whatever.
- Greek yogurt- make this is plain Greek yogurt. You don't want the sweetness of flavored yogurts in here.
- Apple cider vinegar- You can also use red wine or white wine vinegar, but I really love the classic apple cider.
- Dijon mustard- You can also use stone ground mustard or even honey mustard if you prefer.
- Celery seeds- If you have not tried these before, you need to! They really make a good coleslaw.
- Sugar or honey- I have used both in this recipe and like both. It just depends on what you are looking for.
- Tiny bit of mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper
I feel like it is best to slice your own vegetables if you have the time. You can always buy the premixed packages, but they usually are older and the vegetables aren't as fresh.
Make sure to keep this coleslaw chilled. You want crunchy cabbage in your coleslaw, and if this is left at room temperature for too long the cabbage will start to get soft, and won't taste as good as it was.
One thing I like to do if I am not serving this coleslaw right away is to wait on the dressing and add it half an hour before serving.
There are other great additions that you can put in this recipe, such as seeds, nuts, dried fruits, etc.
- Chop all the fruits and vegetables. Prepare them and have them ready to go.
- Mix up your dressing.
- Pour your dressing over the vegetables and fruits and mix well in a bowl.
- That's it! You are ready to enjoy your delicious coleslaw.
How long will this coleslaw hold for?
My personal opinion is that this coleslaw is best when eaten within 3 days. After this, the vegetables get less crunchy than they should be. When you are using greek yogurt it does get a little watery over time.
What add-ins can you use?
Some of my favorite additions are different kinds of nuts, such as pecans, walnuts, and sliced almonds. Other great add-ins are sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, or dried fruits like craisins.
What can I use if I am lactose intolerant?
They have some really great vegan mayonnaise. I would recommend using your favorite brand here.
Other Side Dish Recipes
- Broccoli cheese bites
- Kale salad with roasted delicata
- Vegetarian couscous salad
- Fruit and nut salad
- Potato and green pea side dish
- Roasted tomato caprese
Crunchy Apple Slaw Recipe
- 4-6 cups thinly sliced cabbage I used a mix of green and purple cabbage
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onions
- 2 cups chopped apples
- ½ cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayo I like to use just a little mayo for a more creamy dressing, you can skip this if you prefer
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 tablespoon sugar or honey
- salt and pepper to taste.
- milk you can add a little milk if you want to thin your dressing slightly. I used about a tablespoon in mine
- Combine all the veggies and apples in a large bowl.
- Combine the yogurt, mayo, celery seeds, apple cider vinegar, sugar, and ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper in small bowl. Taste the dressing. I don't like my dressing super sweet, so I added a littl more salt. I also added milk to thin it a touch. Mix it well.
- Pour over the veggies and apples and mix well to combine all.
- This is great served right away, but I also love to let it marinate all together for at least an hour before serving.
- It will hold well in an airtight container in the fridge for about 3-4 days. It is best eaten within 2 though, in my personal opinon.
- Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!