If you are always on the hunt for great appetizers, let me share one of my favorites with you. These Asparagus Puff Pastry Appetizers come together in about 20 minutes, and are something your family and friends will love!
What Is Puff Pastry?
Puff pastry is a light and flaky pastry that is made of many layers of butter and dough. This makes it puff up when baked, and the butter gives it that beautiful golden color.
Why Are These Asparagus Puff Pastry Appetizers So Good?
There is something so satisfying about the puff pastry crust combined with the creamy ricotta filling and the tender asparagus that makes this the perfect summer appetizer idea.
- Puff pastry sheets- I use pepperidge farm but you can use whatever kind you want. You can even make your own if you prefer.
- Asparagus stalks
- Seasonings- I used salt basil and oregano for this recipe.
- Olive oil
- Thaw the puff pastry sheets. I put it into the fridge overnight but you could also just leave it on the counter until it is softened. Make sure that you don't soften it too much.
- Mix ricotta, egg, and parmesan together with your seasoning.
- Cut the puff pastry into 3-4 inch squares.
- Cut the tough ends off the asparagus. You want about 4-6 inch pieces of asparagus for the bundles.
- Thinly slice your leeks.
- Place a small amount of the ricotta filling on the diagonal of the puff pastry square.
- Put two pieces of asparagus across the ricotta filling, and add a few slices of the leeks.
- Fold the ends of the puff pastry crosswise over each other. Brush the top with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and move to the oven. Bake until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, and serve immediately.
Notes On Using Puff Pastry
The most important thing to note about puff pastry is you don't want it to get too warm. If it gets too warm it's very hard to work with, so just be careful when you are thawing it that you don't let it get too warm.
I recommend that you leave the pastry sheets in the refrigerator overnight. If not, you can always put it out on the countertop for about 30 minutes to soften it.
Most packages of puff pastry come with two sheets. Make sure the other sheet you aren't working with stays covered by saran wrap or a towel so it doesn't dry out.
Puff pastry is best baked hot, so I baked this recipe at 400 degrees.
I use pepperidge farm puff pastry sheets, I've always had good results from them and they are usually pretty easy to find in stores.
What other types of cheese can I use in the bundles?
Gruyere is a great option that I love to use, or mozzarella as well. Blue cheese is another cheese that you could use.
Other Appetizer Options
- Shrimp and avocado crostini
- Filet and burrata crostini
- Healthy broccoli cheese bites
- Roasted butternut and bacon toast
- Steak and mushroom bites
- Marinated mozzarella
- Lemon mascarpone fruit dip
- Healthy Mediterranean hummus dip
Asparagus wrapped in puff pastry
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed My package came in a 2 pack. I took one sheet out, covered it in saran wrap and set in on the counter top for about 10 minutes. Depending on how warm your house is, you might need a little longer.
- 24 asparagus stalks wash and trim tops to about 3 inches. You can use the ends in stir fry or even scrambled eggs like I did.
- ½ cup leeks, thinly sliced
- 1 cup ricotta
- ½ cup parmesan, grated
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.Line a sheet pan with parchment and set aside.With veggies washed and cut, begin prepping the puff pastry.Mine came folded, so I used the folds as a guide for the first cuts. Roll a little thinner first. I can't even tell you how much, just about half the size it is originally. Next cut on the 2 fold lines. Next cuts will be perpendicular to those, you are wanting to cut squares. I cut 3 cuts in that direction, you should wind up with 12 squares.Next, place ricotta, parmesan, egg, basil, oregano, and salt. Mix well.Now, in the center of each square put about 1-2 tablespoons of the ricotta mix. Lay 2 asparagus on square diagonally. Next lay on a few leeks. Fold one edge over, then the other. This is all shown on the post in detailed photos as this is really hard to describe.Place on parchment lined baking sheet. Continue process until all are finished. Brush lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.Place in oven and bake until pastry has "puffed" and is lightly golden brown. Remove from oven and serve immediately. You can reheat these, but they really are best served fresh. Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!