If you are a hummus lover, but maybe don't love tahini that much, join the club. This Beetroot Hummus without Tahini is the recipe for you. It comes together quickly and is creamy, delicious, and perfect for dipping!
What Makes This Hummus So Good?
The addition of the cooked beets to hummus is a match made in heaven. Not only the extra health benefits but also for flavor.
This is really simple to make! If you feel intimidated with making homemade hummus, let this recipe prove you wrong. I cook the beets in my Instant Pot, which saves time and makes this a quick recipe to prepare.
It is beautiful. That vibrant pink/red color will add a pop to any appetizer tray or meal you are serving. It is beautiful!
- Beets- I used red beets here, but of course you can use beet you like. I cooked mine in the Instant Pot, I will explain more below, but you can also buy your beets cooked to save time.
- Chickpeas- what would a hummus be without chickpeas? I used canned chickpeas, but you can also cook them yourself.
- Minced garlic- This adds so much flavor to hummus, I do not recommend skipping this.
- Olive oil- don't skimp here!
- Lemon juice- another must in this recipe. Make sure you are using fresh squeezed lemon juice, not the concentrate.
- Salt and pepper- to taste
How To Make
I like to cook my beets in the Instant Pot, so I will show you how to do this. If you like to roast or boil them another way, go for it.
Place the rack in your Instant Pot and set the beets on top. Pour in the water. Seal the lid, and set for pressure high for 20 minutes. Once the time is up, do the quick release, then remove the lid.
Let these cool slightly before handling as they will be HOT! Peel and cut off the tops. Then quarter and add them to your food processor or blender. Add in remaining ingredients.
Pulse on high until it is smooth. Taste and add salt and pepper, or even more olive oil and lemon juice as needed.
Place in your serving bowl, then add a little more olive oil to the top. I reserved a few chickpeas to top it with as well. I recommend this for a pretty presentation.
Let me share a few tips you might find helpful in making this recipe.
First, I don't peel the beets before cooking them. I cut off the greens but left everything else as is. I didn't even wash them. I don't peel and cut them until after they cook, it is so much easier this way! I use an Instant Pot Pressure cooker and love it!
This is best made in a food processor or blender as it really needs to blend for a while to get it smooth. I use a Cuisinart Food Processor.
This recipe is really customizable. Start with my measurements, but add more salt, pepper, lemon juice, or even olive oil if you like.
For an even creamier hummus, add another can of chickpeas. I wanted a stronger beet flavor, so I only used 1 can. If you like a creamier traditional hummus, add that extra can.
Health Benefits of Beets
That beautiful vibrant color comes from pigments called betalains. They contain antioxidants that help lower the risk of heart disease and cancer.
It also has anti-inflammatory properties. Constant inflammation is linked to many diseases like Type 2 diabetes, heart disease, obesity, etc.
They are also high in fiber. Fiber is great for controlling blood sugar levels.
Another thing is they are high in nitrates and so many other healthy vitamins and minerals.
You sure can! Make sure it is stored in airtight containers. It will hold for at least a month in the freezer.
It will stay good for at least 3-4 days. Again, make sure to store it in an airtight container.
Yes, it should be. You can leave it at room temp for several hours, but for longer storage, keep it in the fridge.
Other Instant Pot Recipe
- Orange Creme Brulee
- Pumpkin Risotto Instant Pot
- Peanut Butter Cheesecake
- Instant Pot Beef Stew
- Cooking whole grains in the Instant Pot
- Strawberries and Cream Porridge
- Beef Balsamic
Beetroot Hummus without Tahini
- pressure cooker
- 2-3 beets my beets were on the smaller side, so I used 3
- 15 ounce can chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place your beets in the Instant pot on a rack. Then pour in 1 cup of water. Seal the lid and set it to 20 minutes with the pressure on high.
- Once the timer goes off, do the quick release, and remove the lid. Take the beets from the pressure cooker and let them cool slightly.
- Peel the beets. Half or quarter them and add them to your food processor or blender. Next, add in the chickpeas, lemon juice, and olive oil. Blend well. Then add salt and pepper to taste. You can also add in more lemon juice or olive oil.
- As a note, if you like your hummus more creamy, add in another can of chickpeas. Then blend it in as well.
- That is it! Serve it with your favorite crackers, vegetables, etc. It is perfect for a beautiful charcuterie board as well.
- Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it.