One of my least favorite treats around the Christmas Holiday season are those chocolate cherry cordials. I think they are so disgusting!! The centers make me want to gag. But, I do love the chocolate cherry combo, it’s so good. These muffins are a great example of the awesomeness of this combo!
Start by pitting your cherries. You can use frozen and already pitted cherries, or you can buy fresh and pit your own. They are so delicious right now, it’s hard to resist! If you don’t have a cherry pitter, like me. There are several simple ways to do this. I use a pastry tip and push it through. You can also use a chopstick or skewer. Once you get remove the pits, chop for the muffins.
Mix dry ingredients in small bowl. Mix ricotta, eggs, sugar, vanilla and milk in another bowl.
I always use a part skim, just to keep calories down.
Combine the wet and dry until combined, careful not to overmix.
Fold in chocolate chips and chopped cherries.
Bake until slightly under baked, it will continue to bake even after you remove from the oven.
Serve and enjoy! My family definitely did. These tasty little things were gone in no time!
Double chocolate cherry muffins
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup ricotta I used lowfat, but whole is also great!
- 2/3 cup sugar You can use your sugar of choice here.
- 1/2 cup milk I used almond milk, but use the milk you prefer.
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted You can also use any other neutral oil you prefer.
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour I prefer whole wheat pastry.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder I like Hershey's special dark
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup fresh cherries, chopped
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips I also like dark chocolate chips!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.Prepare pan. You can either use a loaf pan, muffin pan, or square brownie pan like I used. Spray well, so the muffins won't stick. Set aside.Combine the ricotta, sugar, eggs, milk, vanilla and butter in bowl. In separate smaller bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.Combine wet and dry, careful not to over mix. Add in chopped cherries and chocolate chips. Fold to combine. Bake until toothpick inserted comes out almost clean. These will continue to bake even after you pull them out. Allow to cool, or eat immediately. Your choice!Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!