It’s cherry season, and I couldn’t be more happy. I love this fruit!! I love it so much I overeat it on a regular basis when it’s in season. One of my favorite ways to eat cherries in a baked good, besides pie of course, is in quick bread. I love it!
I always love quick breads better with yogurt. It makes them moist and delicious and I love the texture it produces.
Start by mixing the dry ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
Next, mix the yogurt, egg, vanilla ,oil and milk in another bowl.
I like to mix my cherries with the flour mixture first. This help to keep the cherries from bleeding. They still do a little, but not like they would if they weren’t coated with the flour. Blend only until combined.
Fold in sliced almond.
Pour into prepared pan.
Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
Baked until slightly under baked. It will continue to bake even after it’s removed from the oven. Let it cool about 5-10 minutes before removing from pan.
I like to let this cool until before slicing, it makes it so much easier.
Then, do your best not to eat all of this bread in one setting. It’s hard, I know. It’s a good thing I have a couple hungry boys in this house, otherwise I would have eaten all this myself!!
Cherry almond quick bread
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour I also prefer to use whole wheat pastry flour. This is up to you. It can also be made into gluten free by simply switching all purpose out for gluten free flour blend.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup neutral flavored oil
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk I used vanilla nonfat almond milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup fresh cherries, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar you can also use plain sugar, coconut or even turbinado sugar.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.Prepare baking pan, I used a 8×4 pan. Grease well and set aside.In small bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.In a larger bowl, combine oil, egg, milk, yogurt and vanilla.Combine to the dry and wet ingredients, mixing only until combined. Be careful not to over mix. Add chopped cherries and slices almonds. Fold carefully. Pour into prepared pan and sprinkle top with sugar.Bake until top is golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out almost clean. I always pull my quick bread loaves out a little early, they will continue to bake even after it's out of the oven. If you pull it out when it's completely done, it will dry out as it continues to bake. I like to let mine cool for at least 15-20 minutes before slicing. If you can't resist, jump in as soon as you can!!Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it.