Healthy Sprouted Spelt Mediterranean Salad. I wish everyone knew just how delicious sprouted grains are! I mean they are totally healthy, don’t get me wrong. But, they are also really good too! I love the texture and flavor it adds to salads, especially one like this! I used spelt, but you can use any grain you prefer.
Even though its a light salad, the sprout makes it so much more filling, so it is the perfect meal as well!
It is really simple to sprout grains at home, and if you haven’t tried yet, you need to. Any whole grain or seed can be sprouted, as long as it hasn’t been toasted or altered in any way. Start by rinsing your grains, most companies are good about cleaning the grains we buy, but it is good to clean in case. Cover in several inches of water in a clean jar or container. Cover your jar with a sprouting lid or cheesecloth. Let it sit like this for about 4 hours.
Drain the water off the grains, rinse, and drain again. Tip your jar upside down, or on its side in a bowl like I did. Allow this to sit until you go to bed. Then rinse, drain, and set it on its side again. Allow it to sit overnight like this.
Check in the morning. Rinse and drain again. By afternoon or evening, your grains will be sprouted and ready to go! They will be plump and more tender because of the hydration. If you aren’t using it right away, make sure and refrigerate.
Assembling The Healthy Sprouted Spelt Mediterranean Salad
The hard part is over, now it is time to assemble the salad. I used kale, cucumber, tomatoes, and fresh mozzarella in mine. You can use whatever you choose!
Start by massaging the kale. This makes it so much more tender, and milder flavor. Cut the kale off the stems and into chunks. Then, drizzle the kale with a little olive oil, fresh lemon juice, and a sprinkle of salt. Then, massage your kale. I do this for about a minute, it doesn’t take too long.
Next add on your cucumber, tomatoes, mozzarella, and sprouted grain.
Drizzle with your favorite vinaigrette, I included a few recipes below that you might like! If you like sprouted grains, how about this Sprouted Barley and Butternut Salad
- mason jar, sprouting lids or cheesecloth.
- 1 cup einkorn or other grain of choice I have also done almost all whole grains and had really great results!
- water enough to cover the grains with about 1-2 inches over.
- Rinse your grains well. Place in a mason quart canning jar. Add enough cool water to cover the grains about 2 inches over. Allow the grains to sit in the water for about 4 hours. It is important to cover your grains, just so no bugs get in. You can either use a sprouting lid, as I did or even cheesecloth. Place in a dark, warm place.Rinse, fill with water again to cover, and allow to sit another hour. Rinse again and tip your jar upside down to drain. I balanced mine upside down in a small bowl. The jar will need to be covered with a sprouting lid or cheesecloth tied on with a rubber band. Make sure to keep it in a warm, dark place.The grains will need to sit like this for about 12 hours. This will depend on the temperature of your house and the grains. In 12 hours, check again. You may need to rinse and repeat again. for some grains, you may need to do this several times. The grain should be fully sprouted within 24-56 hours. I like to use mine after I see the small sprout starting to poke out. The grains will be nice and tender at this point. You can let them continue to grow if you prefer, up to about 1/4 inch. For the salad I created with this recipe, I boiled about 4 cups of water with 1 teaspoon salt. Once it came to a boil, I added the grains and allowed them to boil for about 5 minutes. Once it had boiled for the time, I drained it and added it to the salad. Whatever you don't use right away, refrigerate for safety. I have never had anything happen, but better to be safe!Now, sit back and enjoy any way you prefer!! You deserve it!
Lemon oregano vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all ingredients to a mason jar or small bowl. Mix or shake well. Serve immediately or store in fridge for 3-5 days.