Have you had a shaved brussel sprouts salad? I love them, as long as the sprouts are sliced really thinly. I don’t like them when they are in bigger chunks. Let me say, I love brussel sprouts when they are cooked, and size, but raw, I only like them shaved. It’s a tricky thing.
If you have a mandoline, you should certainly use it. Here is the mandoline that I use. It’s fairly inexpensive, but still decent. If you don’t have a mandoline, get a sharp knife and go to work!
The brussel sprouts are the hardest part. Once they are done, it is easy from here. I topped it with thinly sliced green apples, dried cherries ( or cranberries) and walnuts.
The dressing was an awesome maple syrup and apple cider vinegairette. It was delicious and the perfect accompaniment for the salad.
Brussel Sprout Salad with Maple Dressing
- 6 cups shaved brussel sprouts If you have a mandoline, you should use this. If not, slice thinly with a sharp knife.
- 1 granny smith apple thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts This is a variable, and optional. If you want more or less, add them. If you don't want or like them, don't use!
- 3/4 cup dried cherries or cranberries Again, this is optional and a variable.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt this is variable. If you want more, or want to omit all together, do it!
- I started with my dressing first. Mix all ingredients together in a mason jar. If you prefer, use another bowl or container and mix with a whisk. Set aside. Start shaving brussel sprouts. Before you start, make sure and peel the outer layer off the brussel sprouts. Cut part of the stem off, then shave thinly. If you have a mandoline, it is a great tool to use. If not, a sharp knife works really well. Shave at least 6 cups and set aside. Next is the apple. You can peel if you choose, but I prefer not to as there are so many nutrients in the skin. I cut mine in half, then cored. Next, I sliced thinly as shown in the photos. Last, assemble the salad. I used the brussel sprouts as the base. Next I added the sliced apples, walnuts and dried cherries. Last I drizzled it with the dressing. Now, sit back and enjoy. You went healthy during this indulging holiday season!