Do you love muddy buddies? Have you ever heard of them? If not, you have got to try them, they are so yummy! How about a little modification with these St Patrick’s Day muddy buddies? They are simple to throw together for that party or your family. I am telling you, almost everyone loves them!
You will notice, I will by off brand foods whenever I can. While I am picky about some things, I am also a mom of 2 teenage boys trying to keep my budget reasonable. So, start with the peanut butter, off brand if you choose.
Next up is butter…not the healthiest snack, I know, but still yummy! I don’t have a photo, but also add the white chocolate chips here. Melt and mix until smooth.
Add in your green food coloring here. You will want this to be almost an obnoxious green as it will need to show through the powdered sugar. I love to use gel or even powder colors as opposed to the liquid colors. The liquid colors just water down the mix too much. I like the Wilton colors, they have always worked well for me, are reasonably priced and easy to find.
I used about 1 teaspoon in mine. You may want a little more, just depends on what color you are looking for.
Now, get your Chex ready. You can use any kind you want, I used to the rice one to keep it gluten free.
Notice I am using off brand again. No, I wasn’t paid to promote Great Value, I just like it and it is generally so inexpensive!
You can see the finished color of my mix. It is a beautiful green. Pour over the chex and mix well. You want to make sure they are all coated.
I prefer a rubber spatula for this, as it is more gentle and the chex won’t break up as much.
Pour onto the lined parchment. Allow it to sit and dry for just a few minutes.
Next, get your powdered sugar ready by pouring into the bottom of a gallon ziplock bag.
Add chex mix to the top of powdered sugar.
Zip the bag and shake carefully to coat. Make sure and zip that bag though, shaking it without it zipped will ruin your day pretty quick!
Pour back onto sheet pan. Allow it to sit until you are ready to serve or store.
I used green sprinkles, but they were so light, you couldn’t even see them!
Add your green candies. I could only find mint M&Ms, but regular green M&Ms would have been so much better!
Even looking at these photos again, is making me drool. It is such a yummy snack!
Can’t you imagine just digging into this bowl?? It’s exactly what we did. The boys were so excited when they came home to this!!
Closeups to drool over…
Sorry, it was just so pretty to photograph.
This last photo was my first try with artificial light. I just loved it!!
St. Patrick’s Day Muddy Buddies
- 12 cups chex of choice I used rice chex so it would be gluten free. You can use whatever type you prefer.
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-2 teaspoons green food gel I used the leaf green, by Wilton
- 11/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup green candies I used mint M&Ms, as that was the only green candies I could find when I was looking. I wouldn't recommend the mint flavor though, it was good, but not the best with the peanut butter??
- 1/4 cup green sprinkles optional.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside. Add peanut butter, butter, white chocolate chips in a small microwaveable bowl. Place in microwave fro about 30 seconds on high. Remove and stir for at least 30 seconds. If the chips haven't melted all the way, place back in another 10-15 seconds. You want it to be melted, but not really hot, so be mindful of that. Once it is all melted, add in food coloring. I prefer the gel, or even a powder as opposed to the liquid color, as I don't like how much the liquid coloring waters it down. Set aside. In a large bowl add your chex. Pour the white chocolate/peanut butter over Chex and mix well. This recipe I added a much higher ratio or chex to the mixture, as I was trying to make it a little healthier. Just remember, you only need enough of the mixture to LIGHTLY coat the Chex, not too much. Pour and spread this mixture out onto the sheet pan. Allow to set for about 5-10 minutes. In a large, gallon sized ziplock bag, place powdered sugar in bottom. Add all the chex mix to the bag. Zip closed and shake carefully to cover all the coated Chex in powdered sugar. Make sure that bag is closed, this can really ruin your day if it's opened when you start shaking!!Spread on the sheet pan again. I sprinkled with my green sprinkles, it is hard to tell in the photos though. You can also sprinkle on your green candies at this point. Allow to sit for a bit, then store or serve as desired. Our's held really well for the 3 days it took us to eat them, just make sure they are in air tight containers.Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!