Want a great twist on tradition? How about Caprese Salad with Scallops? Yes, it is just as good as it sounds. Plus, it is so simple to make and so healthy! It is perfect for a light summer meal.
Components of the caprese salad with scallops
What is in this salad? Simple. Heirloom tomatoes, fresh mozzerella, fresh basil, scallops, a drizzle of olive oil, fresh squeezed lemon juice and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. That's it.
Because the scallops cook so quickly, I like to prep everything else before I get them started. So, let's slice those tomatoes. You can use any type of tomatoes you want. I used heirlooms as they are just really pretty, and they are in season and so good right now.
Next, thinly slice the basil. I roll the leaves and thinly slice across.
The mozzarella will be prepped as you prefer. I love the logs to slice, but this time I bought the boccocini, so I just cut it in half.
Cooking the scallops
Now that everything is ready to go, let's start on the scallops. I bought colossal sea scallops, previously frozen. If you live in a place far from the sea, I always suggest buying seafood frozen. It is the best option!
Now, pat them dry.
I like to sear mine on a cast iron skillet or griddle. I just love that sear! So, heat the griddle over medium heat until it is really hot. Add your oil. I used olive oil, but use oil of choice. Then add you scallops. Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper. Now, let it sit for at least 3-5 minutes before trying to turn. You will only want to turn these once.
It is also good to remember that seafood is generally best cooked hot and fast. So make sure then pan is hot and don't overcook. Nothing worse than dry or chewy seafood. After the first turn, I only cook the second side about 30 seconds-1 minute.
Assembling the Caprese Salad with Scallops
That's it! It was simple, right? Now, assemble and plate as desired. Once assembled, add a drizzle of olive oil and fresh lemon juice. Then sprinkle it all with a little flak salt and fresh ground pepper.
Y'all it is so fresh and so good! You will want to try this!
Looking for another seafood recipe? How about these salmon fritters? They have been really popular on the blog lately. I think everyone must have salmon on the brain!
Caprese Salad with Scallops
- cast iron skillet or nonstick pan.
- 1-2 heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 3-4 basil leaves, sliced or torn
- ½ pound scallops I used collasol, but you can use whatever kind you prefer!
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh lemon juice
- ½ pound fresh mozzarella, sliced or prepped for serving
- You will arrange the salad part however you want for serving. I make sure my tomatoes, basil and mozzarella are prepped before I start my scallops as they cook so quickly. Now, heat a cast iron skillet or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Once it is heated, add enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Heat the oil. When your pan is pretty hot, add in your scallops. Cook on one side for about 3 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Carefully flip and cook on the other for about 30-45 seconds. Remember with most seafood dishes you want to cook hot and fast. If you don't, you will get tough seafood, and no one wants that!Now, add your scallops to the plated caprese salad. Drizzle with a little more olive oil, fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper. That's it. Ready to go within 10-15 minutes. It is so worth it!Now sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!