Are you looking for a simple vegetarian side dish that will make use of that perfect summer zucchini? How about these yummy Healthy Zucchini Potato Fritters?
What Makes These Fritters So Good?
Something that you will love about these healthy zucchini potato fritters is how they make use of seasonal fresh vegetables. This combination of potatoes, zucchini, and vegetables is a match made in heaven.
These fritters are simple to make, and honestly grating the veggies is the hardest thing. These are made in under 15 minutes and ready to serve.
They make a great light meal or side dish. They also are really good for breakfast with a fried egg on top.
- Zucchini- Naturally the star ingredient is seasonal zucchini. Grating it is the best way to use for fritters.
- Potatoes- You really can use any type of potato you have on hand. I have used russets, golds, sweet potatoes, etc. This time I had red potatoes, so that is what I used.
- Whole Wheat Flour- I used a whole wheat pastry flour, but any flour will do.
- Eggs- These will help to bind your fritters together.
- Parmesan Cheese- This adds so much flavor to the fritters.
- Onions- I like to grate these as well to keep the sizes small.
- Za-atar seasoning- This is one of my favorite seasonings as it adds so much flavor to a dish! It is a Middle Eastern seasoning that is perfect in so many dishes!
- Salt and Pepper- This is an essential.
How To Make Simple Veggies Fritters
- Start by grating your zucchini. Then squeeze the zucchini to get rid of excess moisture. While we want the fritters to be moist, we don't want them to be soggy.
- Grate your potatoes and parmesan.
- Mix your eggs in a small bowl.
- Now, mix all your ingredients together.
- Heat your griddle, like I did, or skillet if you prefer.
- Grease generously with butter.
- Add your fritter batter by spoonfuls to the hot, greased griddle.
- Allow them to cook until they are a deep golden brown. Flip and cook on the other side.
- That is it! Now, sit back and enjoy.
Tips For Making The Best Zucchini Fritters
First off, make sure to squeeze the zucchini. You don't want to get rid of all the water in the zucchini, but a good bit. This will keep the fritters from getting soggy.
Fry these on a hot pan. To get that crispy golden texture, fry them HOT!
These fritters are best served right away. If you don't the fritters won't stay crispy for long. They are still really yummy, just now crispy.
What To Serve With The Fritters?
We love spicy foods in our house, so the natural choice for us was a sriracha mayo. I have included this recipe in the recipe card below.
If you want something quicker, just serve with store-bought hummus. They have a lot of really great varieties out there.
Methods For Cooking The Fritters
I wanted to share 3 methods for cooking these fritters. You can decide which you like best.
First, cook them on a hot griddle or pan like I am showing in my recipe. This is my favorite way to cook these.
The second option for cooking the fritters is deep frying. This is a method you use in a pan. Add in an inch of oil and fry the fritters this way. I love this method as it produces the crispiest fritters, but it doesn't exactly fit in with my healthy eating plan.
The third is the healthiest, and it is to simply bake them. For your fritters on a pan and bake them HOT. While this is healthiest, I have a hard time getting mine crispy.
FAQ Zucchini Potato Fritters
While you really can use any type of potato, as I mentioned above, my favorite is probably the russet. I like the results the best. Sweet potatoes are also really yummy.
You can, just know when you reheat them, they are a little soggy. But, the flavor is still just as good! They will hold well in the fridge for about 4 days!
I do not recommend this. They are very mushy when they thaw. If you aren't too picky, I guess you can try, but I do not recommend it.
Other Vegetarian Dishes
- Twice Baked Broccoli Potatoes
- Simple Green Goddess Salad
- Potato and Green Pea Salad
- Southwestern Black Bean and Corn Salad
- No Mayo Potato Salad
- Asparagus and Parmesan Risotto
Healthy Zucchini Potato Fritters
- box grater
- griddle or pan
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 cup grated potato
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon ground back pepper
- butter for greasing the pan.
- ½ cup mayo
- 2 tablespoons sriracha sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Squeeze your zucchini to release excess liquid.
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix well.
- Heat your griddle on 375 degrees. If you are using a pan, heat over medium-high heat. You will want the pan to be pretty hot.
- Mix your mayo and sriracha sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Time to start the fritters! Grease the pan or griddle generously with butter or oil. I prefer butter.
- Drop the fritters onto the griddle. I used about ½ cup per fritter, but you can make them any size you like. Make sure the heat stays hot while they are cooking.
- These should cook really quickly, like maybe 3 minutes per side. Hot and fast.
- That is it! Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it.