If you have never tried making your own hot cocoa mix, let me show you just how easy it can be!! This Simple Hot Cocoa Mix With Creamer is a favorite in our house, and I bet it will be in yours too!
What Makes This Hot Cocoa Mix so Good??
It is so easy to make! You can mix and package this up in under 10 minutes. This is not a project that will take all day.
All the ingredients are pretty common. The only one that might be a little tricky is pure vanilla powder, but honestly, even that one is easy to find. So, with only 5 ingredients, what isn't to love??
I use a mix of powdered milk and non-dairy creamer. The combo of the 2 makes for such a creamy hot cocoa drink.
It holds well at room temp for at least a month! Easy, right?
- Unsweetened Cocoa- this is where the deep chocolate flavor comes from. I love to use Hersheys Special Dark.
- Powdered Milk- powdered milk can be gross. I still have bad memories of my mom trying to sneak it in when we were kids to save money. That flavor is the worst. So, just remember if you add in a bad tasting powdered milk to begin with, your hot cocoa will taste bad. My favorite brand to use is called Moo Milk. It is easy to find in my area, but you might need to do a little digging.
- Powdered Sugar- this blends in so much better than just granulated sugar. If you have not given it a try, you need to!
- Non Dairy Creamer- I just used Coffee Mate, but you can use whatever type you like. You can also experiment with the different flavors as well.
- Pure Vanilla Powder- This really makes a difference. If you haven't tried powdered vanilla in your baking, you need to give that a go as well!
How To Make Hot Cocoa Mix
- Add all ingredients to a bowl.
- Mix well.
- Store as desired or wrap for gift giving.
- This is good stored at room temp for at least a month, although our mixes never last that long.
Notes On Making Hot Cocoa Mix With Creamer
Everyone in our family adds a different amount of mix to their hot cocoa, but you can plan on about 2 tablespoons to ¼ cup of mix per 1 cup hot water.
Make sure and mix this really well. I used a whisk and mixed it for about a minute to ensure it was evenly distributed. You can also throw this in a food processor or blender.
For an even creamier and sweeter mix, you can add in a few cups of chocolate chips. The type you add depends on your preference. I love dark chocolate, but you can add anything from white to dark chocolate.
This is best used within about 3-4 weeks.
I think the hot cocoa mix makes a really great gift. Especially during the Christmas holidays.
I find cute mugs to use for packaging. Then pour the mix into a small decorative cello gift bag. Place the bag in the mug and you are ready to go!!
You can also put it into cello bags then into seasonal boxes as well. Add in some of your favorite cookies or even chocolates. Your friends, family, teachers, neighbors, etc will all thank you!
FAQ Hot Cocoa Mix With Creamer
You don't have to, but it certainly won't be as creamy without it.
You can add a variety of powdered flavoring- think raspberry, mint, etc. You can also use dehydrated fruit. Just make sure and pulse them first to make it a powder.
I say, yes! I promise it will not be the same if you don't.
What is the best food to serve with hot cocoa? Cookies...
- Strawberry Sugar Cookie Bars
- Dark Chocolate Rye Cookies
- Dark chocolate and Dried Cherry Cookies
- Classic Snickerdoodle
- Chocolate Chip with Caramel and Pretzels
- Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Stamped Gingerbread Cookies
Simple Hot Cocoa Mix with Creamer
- 4 cups powdered milk
- 3 cup powdered sugar you can also use granulated, but I prefer powdered. It blends better.
- 2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder My cocoa of choice is always the Hershey special dark. Use any cocoa you prefer though.
- 1 cup powdered non dairy creamer I used the Coffee mate original, but there are tons of flavors out there to try. Sky is limit here!
- 1 ½ teaspoon pure powdered vanilla
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl large enough to mix in. Mix with a wire whisk until well combined. Store in airtight container until ready for use. Add ⅓ cup cocoa to ¾ cup boiling (or hot) water. Mix well. Top with your favorite toppings. Mine is whipped cream and maybe a little grated chocolate. That's it. My boys will top it with anything and everything. If you are giving it away as a gift, package any way you choose. Your friends, family and coworkers will love you!