Seriously though, you won’t want to miss this epic salmon burger. They are pretty simple to make and so delicious. Plus, so much healthier than the traditional burgers we love!
Being from Alaska, I am somewhat particular about my salmon. I am fortunate enough to get fresh and canned salmon from my parents who still live there! If you are not so fortunate, I am sorry. There are other options. You can buy canned salmon. For us, pink salmon is the worst. If you like this, continue to use it, and please don’t be offended. 🙂 If you can, sockeye salmon (or red salmon as we call them) are great to use. Silver salmon (Coho Salmon) are my very favorite, so use that if at all possible. If you prefer to use fresh, no problem, just a little extra prep work. Start by drizzling your filet with just a touch of olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at 450 for about 5-7 minutes, depending on the size of the filet. Cool, then flake the salmon by pulling apart with a fork.
Making the Epic Salmon Burger
If you are using canned salmon, like I did, open and drain well. Removing as much liquid as possible and only adding back in what you want, ensures a moist, but not a mushy burger.
When the salmon cans, it will hold in chunks. It is important to break these chunks up. All the ingredients should mix evenly, and with chunks that’s not possible.
Eggs are such a great binder for these burgers.
You have several ways to proceed from here. Crushed saltine crackers can be added (the way my mom made them growing up), breadcrumbs, or my preferred method- Panko. I love the texture from Panko.
I know, I know I really should mince my own garlic. It is one of the tasks in the kitchen I generally don’t enjoy, so I save it for special occasions. I mean, storebought in a jar isn’t the best, but good enough for me!
We also love a little spice in our Epic Salmon Burgers, so cayenne pepper always make it’s appearance!
Cooking Your Epic Salmon Burger
Some people like to grill their burgers, I personally don’t as they are pretty fragile. I prefer an electric griddle, as shown here, or a skillet on the cooktop. Grease the skillet well and heat hot! This will allow the Salmon Burgers to cook quickly, which you always want with fish, and the oil or butter will give them a crispy crust.
I brown my buns first. The salmon burgers cook quickly, you want to eat them hot, so everything needs to be done beforehand. A note on the bread choice- make sure it is a soft bread. The salmon patties are so delicate, as noted above and I personally don’t feel they lend themselves to a chewy or hearty bun. So, these all-white soft buns make their rare appearance in the kitchen!
Next, form your patties, making sure to press well. Most people have a problem with their patties falling apart. There are a couple of ways to combat this. Make sure your measurements are what they should be- a good balance of salmon, eggs, and Panko. The second thing is ensuring the patties are formed and pressed together well. The last is a good hot temp for cooking. You also only want to flip these burgers once, so make sure and let them cook fully on one side before flipping.
Assembling the Epic Salmon Burgers
Like any burger, you can dress it any way you like. I will show you how I made our’s and you decide from there.
Layer on sliced avocados.
Fresh tomatoes are so good right now, so throw some of those on!
I like mixed greens, but have also used a bibb lettuce or even sliced cabbage.
I then topped it all with a generous amount of Jalapeno Ranch. It is simple to throw together and so good on this burger!!
That’s it. It is simple and cooked start to finish in about 15 minutes. Which makes it the perfect meal for a busy evening!
You Don’t Want To Miss This Epic Salmon Burger
Now can you see why this burger earned it’s name. It really is epic. Loaded with so much goodness it is hard to resist.
If you are looking for other salmon ideas, I have a few to choose from.
You don’t want to miss this epic salmon burger!
- Electric griddle or skillet for cooking.
- 4 cups flaked salmon
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup Panko This is my recommendation, but you can also use bread crumbs or even crushed saltines if you prefer.
- 1 teaspoon salt my canned salmon is salted, so I don't add much. If your canned salmon isn't salted, add in at least another 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-3 teaspoons cayenne pepper If you like spice, go heavy on the cayenne pepper. If you don't, go light!
- 1-2 tablespoons butter or oil for greasing pan you will cook in
- Begin by flaking your salmon in medium sized bowl. To flake your salmon means to break it apart with a fork. You want fairly small pieces, then everything will blend well. Heat griddle to 400 degrees or pan over medium- high heat,you want them to be hot when you are ready to cook the patties. Now, add remaining ingredients to salmon and mix well. Form into patties, making sure to press well and firmly. This will ensure the patties will stick together when you are cooking them.Spread your butter or oil on griddle or skillet. Immediately add the salmon burgers carefully. They are kind of fragile at this point. Cook for 3-5 minutes per side. You don't want to overcook these, you just want a golden brown color. Cook on the other side. Remove and serve immediately. We love avocados, onions, tomatoes, lettuce and jalapeno ranch on our burgers, but certainly dress them how you prefer. Now, you can make these and use them for leftovers. I don't like to reheat though. If I use it for a leftover, I prefer to use them in a salad or something cold. But, if you aren't too picky, go ahead and reheat!Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!
Creamy and Spicy jalapeno Ranch Dressing
- Food processor or blender
- 3/4 cup sour cream You can also use a plain Greek yogurt. I love that as well, but prefer the sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayo you can use all sour cream if you prefer, but I really like a little mayo in there as well.
- 1 1/2-2 tablespoon dry ranch dressing mix
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4-3/4 cup fresh or pickled jalapenos This will of course depend on your preference for heat.
- 1/3 cup cilantro, rough chop
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Add all ingredients to your food processor or blender. Mix until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning and heat as needed. Use immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Now, sit back and enjoy. You deserve it!