Epic Roasted Veggie Sandwich. Are you looking for the perfect refreshing vegetarian sandwich? You just found it! This low-calorie Veggie Sandwich is healthy and perfect for meal prep.
Why Eat Vegetables?
The USDA recommends adults eating anywhere from 5-13 servings of vegetables per day. From the USDA "People who eat more vegetables and fruits as part of an overall healthy diet are likely to have a reduced risk of some chronic diseases, such as heart disease, including heart attack and stroke and certain types of cancers. Eating foods such as vegetables that are lower in calories instead of higher-calorie food may be useful in helping to lower calorie intake. Vegetables provide nutrients vital for health and maintenance of your body, such as vitamins A and C, fiber, folate, and potassium. For a list of the health benefits associated with vegetables". Do you need more reasons? Let's get to the sandwich!
Things to love about the Epic Roasted Veggie Sandwich
- Flavor, flavor, flavor! Roasting vegetables enhances the flavor in many vegetables, particularly the ones included in this sandwich.
- Simple and easy for meal prep. You can roast it ahead of time and then throw the sandwich together quickly when you are ready to eat it.
- You can use veggies that are a little past their peak, this reduces food waste.
- This veggie sandwich is very healthy, low-calorie, vegetarian, and perfect if you are trying to find ways to fit more veggies into your diet!
What Veggies to Roast
*You will need hearty vegetables that can stand up to roasting
- Bell Pepper
- Any squash
Roasting the Veggies
- Begin by slicing your veggies however you want. Most of mine were about ¼ inches thick.
- Then you will brush your veggies with oil, I used olive oil.
- Next, sprinkle your veggies with salt and pepper. You won’t need to add much seasoning, allow your veggies to shine!
- Roast your veggies at 400-degrees for 7-10 minutes. You want your veggies to be tender, but not turn to mush.
I love using Moires Life for my olive oil. It is incredible Greek olive oil.
*when you roast the veggies, a lot of moisture will come out, so you will want a heartier bread. I used Ciabatta rolls for Costco.
- French Bread
- Hearty-grained bread
You can use your favorite spread for your veggie sandwich, I did a goat cheese basil spread on mine. It is basically a mixture of goat cheese, basil, cream cheese, garlic, and a little salt and pepper. Other options could be:
- Sun-dried tomato mayo
- Plain ol' mayo
I always love adding hand artichoke hearts to any type of veggie sandwiches or pizzas. I also enjoy using home-grown microgreens. You can use any type of lettuce, sprouts, or microgreens from the store.
Get all your veggie servings in while still satisfying your appetite with this Epic Roasted Veggie Sandwich. It is perfect for on-the-go outings, picnics, or your afternoon boating trip!
I think every good sandwich needs an awesome drink to go with it. Let me give you a few options I love:
- I just posted this awesome Strawberry Pineapple Agua Fresca. It is a favorite in our house!
- Or what about a float? These classic drinks are so much fun! I loved this Blueberry Lemon Float.
- Maybe a non-alcoholic sangria is something you are interested in?
- Classic Lemonade is always in style in our house!
- Rhubarb Lemonade is a fun twist on that classic.
Epic Roasted Veggie Sandwich
- 2 portabello mushrooms sliced in ¼-inch pieces
- 1 medium-sized zucchini end cut off and sliced in ¼-inch strips
- 1 bell pepper sliced
- ½ medium onion sliced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 6 artichoke hearts
- 1 cup microgreens or other sprouts of choice
Goat Cheese Basil Spread
- 4 ounces softened cream cheese
- ¼ cup goat cheese
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.Place prepped zucchini, portabellos, onions, and peppers on a baking sheet. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Move the baking sheet to the oven and bake for about 5-7 minutes. Just enough to soften the veggies, but not turn them to mush. While they are cooking, quarter your artichoke hearts. Now add your spread ingredients to a bowl and mix well. When the veggies are done roasting, remove them from the oven and allow them to cool slightly before assembling your sandwich. Spread your bread with the spread, then start layering on the veggies. That is it! Done! So simple and so delicious!Now, sit back and enjoy. You sure deserve it!
Yes!! Roast those veggies at the begging of the week, then store them in an airtight container and they will be ready when you are ready to throw together your sandwich!
Yes. Prep all your veggies as you did for the sandwich. When you assemble, brush the wrap with the spread, then add in your veggies. Roll it up and it is ready to go!
A simple swap on the spread and this is certainly vegan!